UBC Faculties: Perspectives on the Last Month of Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The weather is getting warmer, the cherry blossoms are beginning to bloom, and the horror of final exams week is creeping closer then ever! We’ve made it through the long study nights of midterm season and we’ve gotten a sneak peak of our summer adventures during reading week, but the final month of school still stands in the way to freedom. This final month brings different stress levels to each faculty: some say it’s the only time of year that Arts students do anything, while others say it’s the only break of the year for engineering students. HCUBC is here to break these myths and find out what the final month of school truly brings to our fellow thunderbirds.

*****

Arts

Welcome to the life of an Arts student: we write a lot of essays, we don’t take many math classes, and most of our homework consists of readings, like, a lot of readings. The final month of the semester is like that, but on steroids. An Arts student’s life gets so busy that you have to Google the ending of ‘Gilmore Girls’ just so you’re forced to get off Netflix. Every single term paper and final quiz is crammed into the final few weeks of classes and the professors take no mercy. With many students hitting that point in the semester where they have lost all motivation, the timing of these assignments don’t reflect well on the ol’ GPA. 

Sciences

Everyone thinks that a Science student’s life consists of labs and midterms, and that the final month of school only involves light preparation for finals: couldn’t but that couldn’t be more wrong. The life of a Science student is non-stop, and the final month of school brings more term papers, class reports, practical and written labs, and on top of that, Science students have to begin to prepare for finals which, are like, worth 50% of our grade (or more). A Science student’s life really has no chill. It can crush your soul.

Land and Food Systems 

The last month of school also shows no mercy to the wonderful students of LFS. For some, the last month looks like four major term assignments, with three of them due in the same week, as well as one presentation. To add to the fun, there are two exams and an essay that arrive later in the month. Be scared LFS students, be very scared.

Sauder

Welcome to the Sauder School of Business, where students often wear suits to class, talking about their future careers on Wall Street and everyone’s favourite word, NETWORKING. This month of school calls for long hours, long days, a lot of work, meeting people, group projects and, of course, networking! Just make sure you have your suit ironed and ready.

Kinesiology

Ever wonder how the sportier-half lives? When the Kin kids aren’t kicking it at practice or going for run, they can also be found crying in the Wood library. The last month for Kinesiology students depends a lot more on the classes you are taking. For some, the last month means finishing up the second round of midterms and handing in that final paper. But don’t fret, they always have time for a quick two hour run!

*****

We hope you have a better understanding of how the different faculties experience the last month of the term. Next time you see someone crying at two a.m. in the library, you may be a little less quick to judge. HCUBC wishes everyone smooth sailing before all hell breaks loose during finals week! 

Siobhan is a Second year Sociology and Economics Major at UBC. She is hoping to pursue a career in Marketing and advertisement.