This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Today we are going to get a look into the mind of one of the most amicable, perspicacious, and punny people to have ever graced UBC’s Vancouver campus, Chimedum Ohaegbu. Read on to learn her pet peeves about Vancouver, a great magical power she’d love to have, and why she always keeps an eye out for magpies.

STATS:

Year: 2

Faculty: Arts

Hometown: Calgary, Alberta

Stance on pineapple-on-pizza: It’s cool. Not my first choice, but not my last.

HC UBC: Why did you pick UBC?

Its English program is one of the best in the country, it’s not too close or too far from home, and it’s (slightly! barely!) warmer than Calgary.

HC UBC: What is one way that UBC has surprised you?

The amount of walking I have to do came as a shock.

HC UBC: What are your plans for your degree?

Grad school, then hopefully editorhood/writerdom. (Those aren’t real words yet so maybe I’ll be a neologist first and make them so.)

HC UBC: So, in a world where anything is possible, what would be your dream career/future?

I’d be a writer – of videogames, podcasts, books, TV shows, you name it – and also it’d be nice to get over my fear of insects so I could garden.

HC UBC: If you could be any vegetable, what vegetable would you be?

A tomato! It’s a fun word to say and they’re yummy.

HC UBC: What is your biggest pet peeve about UBC?

This is really a Vancouver-wide thing, but there are so many trees on campus it applies well to UBC specifically, so: you know how in autumn, after the leaves have fallen gently to the ground, you get to crunch them underfoot and the sensation and sound takes you right back to the best parts of your childhood? WELL IT RAINS ALL THE TIME HERE AND SOGGY LEAVES DON’T CRUNCH.

HC UBC: If you could have a magical power, what would it be?

If I could have the ability to unknow spoilers or re-experience my favourite media as if for the first time whenever I wanted, that’d be nice. So I guess, simply put, selective amnesia? More fantastically, time travel so I could taste old foods no longer made and also visit (and PROTECT) the Library of Alexandria.

HC UBC: What is one silly thing that nobody knows about you?

I make wishes on magpies (three magpies=one wish). And even though I’m reasonably sure that the idea of bird-powered wish-granting is something I made up, I still believe in it and get really excited whenever I sight a magpie.

HC UBC: Let’s end off with you telling me your favourite joke.

I’m an endless fount of bad (read: fantastic) puns, so it’s hard to pick. That being said:

Q) What did Julius Caesar say when Brutus wrote him a short technical song for the piano?

A) “Étude, Brute?”

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.
Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.