This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Stats

Name: Hayley Schmale

Program: English Major and Anthropology Minor

Year: 3

Hometown: Langley

Instagram and Twitter Handle: hayleyschmale

Fun Facts: I’m tall. Like, people can see me for miles. Also, I’m a lefty, born on International Left Handers Day (that is a thing!) and I spend too much money on concert tickets, but man, those are great experiences and SO worth it.

Favorite travel destination: England all the way! I love being able to go visit my family there. I also really love going to the Island; being able to lay on the beach or explore the woods is my favourite pastime.

Guilty Pleasure? One Direction dance parties. Also going on Tumblr waaaay too much.

Favorite tunes: Shut Up and Dance by WALKTHEMOON, Blank Space and Style by Taylor Swift, Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson

What are your recommended TV shows to binge watch? Doctor Who, Agent Carter, The 100  

Favorite course taken thus far: ENGL 470 – Jewish Canadian Lit. I didn’t think I would like it but wow, what an eye opener! I was able to learn so much.

What is one thing people may not know about you?  Every time I go to England, I break a bone. I broke my leg, shredded my ACL and had two surgeries (one was by the doctor who works on the Canucks, which was pretty cool!) on one trip, and broke my ankle on another. But I still love it!

Best moment at UBC so far: This is only my first year here as I transferred, but I’ve had an up close encounter with Carter the Coyote, which was pretty interesting.  

Favorite Quote: “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live” J.K Rowling

Love

Status: Engaged!!! (Still can’t believe it, oh my goodness.)

Biggest Turn on: Tell me what you’re passionate about. What really makes your heart race? I love seeing how people’s eyes light up when they get excited about something.

Biggest turn off: Not being a feminist. (Do you believe in equality? Then you’re a feminist. If not… I don’t really want to know you.)

What is your dream date: Spending time together, ideally by the water. I just love that environment so much! I could spend my whole life near water.

Celebrity Crush: Chris Evans! What an adorable dork!

Akshita (pronounced Ak-she-tha) hails from the beautiful lands of Nairobi, Kenya.Her interests dabble in everything from Astronomy and Social Issues to occasionally writing about herself in the third person.She enjoys photography, travelling and exploring Vancouver!