sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Happy Birthday Orchard Commons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

There’s no denying that Orchard Commons has had a rough first year. Yet despite the fact that the elevators in the 18-storey building were always breaking down, the residents came to love it. That is why on Saturday, April 1st, Orchard Commons celebrated its first birthday with an all-out carnival (no, it wasn’t a prank. They were very clear about that). From performances to free food to puppy dogs, they had it all!

It’s no secret that UBC is full of talented people, and a great many of them were showcasing their skills as part of the festivities. Groups such as Mid-Air, the UBC EDM Club and the UBC Jazz Café served up some great music to set the tone of the afternoon (and yes, this reporter was spotted singing along loudly without shame). Then, the Thunderbird Dance Team rocked the stage with moves that made everyone immediately vow to get fit and learn sick dance moves just like them (or was that just me?), and this newfound determination was cast aside as soon as the free samosas, cotton candy, and slushies were spotted (wait, just me again?). 

Meanwhile, students reconnected with their inner child at the bouncy castle — yes, a BOUNCY CASTLE — and just outside the splash zone of the dunktank — yes, a DUNK TANK — the UBC MIA Club dazzled all us poor muggles with their close-up magic skills. Can there even be summer fun without some sort of water activity? The answer is a loud no! Thanks to the warm and sunny weather Orchard’s dunk tank was a huge hit! It was tough to tell who was having more fun, the dunk-ers or the dunk-ees!

Then the dogs stole the show.

The wonderful Vancouver Ecovillage therapy dogs were on-site spreading joy and cuddles starting at four o’clock, and this reporter lost all care for anything else. There was a Shiba that did tricks, there was a Pitbull that wouldn’t settle for less than three people petting him at once, there was a French Bulldog determined to sniff out every shoe he could reach, and many more. It was, to put it simply, doggy paradise for any and all stressed-out UBC students. 

Congratulations Orchard Commons on your first year of operation! We’re all looking forward to your next celebration, whatever it may be — you really know how to celebrate!

Photo Credits: Avery Creed

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.