This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Stats

Name:  Ghazal Azarbad

Year:  5

Major:  BFA – Acting

Hometown:  Mashhad, Iran

Get to Know Ghazal

What is your favourite travel destination?  Never been, but I’ve always wanted to go to Bali.

What are some of your favourite tunes?  Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven and Vienna by Billy Joel.

Do you have a favourite quote?  The word ‘favourite’ always stresses me out because I can never choose. One that speaks a lot to me currently is: “Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth,” by Elizabeth Gilbert. That, and any quote by Hans Moleman, always.

What is your dream job?  An international tour with a major theatre company.

Ghazal and Theatre at UBC

What made you decide to get involved with theatre?  I love to affect people and I love to be affected. With theatre, I get to do both simultaneously.

Who are the actors that you look up to?  Natalie Portman, Meryl Streep, Michael Fassbender, Sutton Foster, Tina Fey, Bradley Cooper, Steve Carrell, Bryan Cranston… the list goes on and on.

What are some of your favourite theatrical productions, and why?  Some standouts are ImprovOlympic and The Second City in Chicago. I love improv just as much as scripted theatre and no play I’ve seen has blown my mind quite like the improv produced by these two companies.

Any upcoming projects?  The Bacchae 2.1 has recently opened and plays until February 7! This Monday and Tuesday is the premiere of the BFA movie Mercury Falling, which will be at the Norm Theatre. And then after that, the season finishes with a musical, The Triumph of Love. Stay tuned for that in March.

Romance

Relationship status:  Single.

Biggest turn-on:  Sense of humour and openness.

Biggest turn-off:  Arrogance and unawareness.

Celebrity crush:  Leonardo DiCaprio, obvi.

Natalie is a sociology and history student who has a slight obsession with TV, photography, and giraffes. She also has a hard time writing in third-person.