A Farewell Chat with Jessica Schmidt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

When Jessica Schmidt graduates this spring, the girls at Her Campus UBC will say goodbye to a Co-Editor-In-Chief and wonderful leader. Jessica recently wrote about her upcoming graduation, but I sat down with her to get some advice and relive some UBC memories before she bids us farewell.

Grainne: I’ll start with the worst question ever – what’s next for you?

Jessica: I’m taking time off. I’ve told my parents that I’m just gonna be unemployed for two months and they seem cool with that, they think I deserve it. I’m gonna move back to Calgary, I’m gonna’ travel, I’m gonna’ come back here to Vancouver, I’m going to go visit some relatives.

G: What’s the best class you took at UBC?

J: Siân Echard’s History of the Book was an awesome class. And the English Honours intro class, but they’re cutting it this year, which sucks.

G: Where is your favourite place to study on campus?

J: I like studying in Irving, but not in the stacks; at the tables in the main area so you can hear other people chatting but you can also put in headphones and do your own work. It’s nice to be around other people suffering while I suffer.  

G: You leave behind a really awesome legacy at Her Campus UBC. How did you get involved and how cool has it been to see the chapter grow?

J: It’s been really cool to see all the writers that come and go. We went from a bronze level chapter, up to silver, and then we skipped gold and became a platinum level chapter! And seeing the team grow from five people, where everybody had to pick up an assignment every week to keep the site alive to us now having so many writers who all want to contribute and having multiple pieces for some sections every week is awesome. Also, being an official AMS club is nice.

G: What advice would you give to your first-year self?

J: I’d say simultaneously she should be more involved, but also that it’s ok to just hang out in your room. If I can say both of those things at once, that’d be cool. I wish I could tell her to be more serious about her writing and to not talk it down all the time.

Also, I’d tell her to appreciate how easy her life is because she’s going to get her ass kicked by the time fourth year rolls around. And that she’s gonna contemplate dropping out and quitting so many times, and it’s really worth it to stick it out. You’ve put in this much work and you might as well just get it done.

J: Do you want to try some of this salad?

G: I’m okay, but thank-you.

J: It’s really good!

G: It looks amazing.

[We discuss how crunchy broccoli is better than soft broccoli]

G: What’s the best place to grab lunch at UBC? 

J: I really like the curry at The Delly, and the sandwiches at The Great Dane are good.

G: Coffee?

J: The Boulevard has the best coffee.