This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

This winter, why find yourself defaulting to a movie night and dinner as if it is the only date to ever exist? Vancouver’s mild winters (compared to the rest of Canada) make it a gorgeous city to explore with your partner, and Her Campus @UBC is here with a guide! 

The stunning light shows, vibrant markets and fairs, and the seasonal adventures make for the most romantic and magical date night experiences. So, get your loved one and set out on some of the most amazing hand-picked events this city has to offer!

1. The Vancouver Christmas Market

This Vancouver version of a traditional German market is a personal favourite. Visit local artisans in little wooden huts, jam together to festive music live, and immerse yourself in savoury food while soaking in the holiday cheer. Grab a cup of warm Gluehwein or if you prefer something cold, taste-test the locally-sourced wines from BC vineyards (I still preserve the bottle from last year as a keepsake). After a fun ride on the carousel, get a cute picture at the photo-stand and maybe cozy-up on the ledge overlooking the waterfront ;)

When: November 12th to December 24th 

Where: Jack Poole Plaza

Cost: $17.99

1. Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge 

Experience the absolutely surreal light display at the Capilano Suspension bridge. Walk across the wobbly but perfectly safe bridge (maybe even hand-in-hand, who knows?) as you find yourself amidst thousands of Christmas lights. Pose all-cute with your date looking over the illuminated river and be sure to admire the waterfall’s beauty. After a romantic walk through the decorated trees, grab hot cocoa and check out the fancy gift shop. Get each other souvenirs from a (hopefully) memorable date!

When: November 19, 2022 to January 22, 2023

Where: Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

Cost: Starting from $42

1. PNE Winter Fair

Hosted for the first time ever, the Winter Fair is another chapter in PNE’s book of events, inspired by their own famous annual summer fair. What could be better than a fair with multitudes of activities that help you explore each other’s festive quirks? Attend a concert (tickets may cost you up to $40-70 including the winter fair admission) or test each other’s sound-sync to live music. Indulge yourselves in festive treats, ice skate in the agrodome or shop at the outdoor holiday marketplace. Finally, stroll across the walkthrough light display and enjoy a fun-fuelled, picturesque evening.

When: December 14-23, 2022

Where: PNE Fair Grounds – 2901 E Hastings St, Vancouver 

Cost: $15 admission 

1. Ice Skating at Robson Square

The Robson Square Ice Skating rink opens during winter, and is operational all days of the week. What’s even better? It’s absolutely free! You can bring your own skates or rent them for $5, and voilà, here’s a romantic, festive date that won’t break your bank. Whether you and your partner are beginners or complete experts, hold each other as you skate around the rink and enjoy the Christmas merriment that fills the air. Lastly, you can even grab food together at Robson square!

1. FlyOver Canada 

Vancouver winters can get very rainy. However, that doesn’t mean you should take a rain-check on the holiday cheer! FlyOver Canada’s Christmas is a special winter holiday-themed multi-dimensional flying theatre experience. You get to take a sleigh ride with Santa and virtually fly over the North pole (exclusive to the Christmas theme) and Canadian scenery including Toronto, the Prairies, the Okanagan, and Vancouver. Buckle up tightly alongside your date, and you can both enjoy an outdoors-y indoor experience, amplified using special, real-life effects!

When: December 8th, 2022 until January 3rd, 2023

Where: 999 Canada Place

Cost: Between $25 and $27

1. Goh Ballet’s The Nutcracker

For a calmer, more artistic date night, attending Goh Ballet’s rendition of The Nutcracker is totally recommended! If you and your date both have a taste for arts, this heartwarming and spectacular production will hit you right in the festive feels. From the moment you step into the lobby, where you will be serenaded by carol singers, to the stunning dancing and costumes during the ballet itself, this is the perfect Christmas treat!

When: December 15th, 2022 to December 18th, 2022

Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre

Cost: Tickets from $38.75 

Divya is a sciences sophomore at UBC, Vancouver, and is an absolute geek at heart. You will never find her without her AirPods (probably jamming to a very questionable taste in music) and she would most likely be looking for a spot with a lot of sun to lie in between classes.
Katie is a third year student in the Faculty of Arts at the University of British Columbia, majoring in International Relations. In her free time, she likes watching movies, making Spotify playlists, and thrifting. By writing and editing for Her Campus, she hopes to explore her interest in journalism and writing.