Arts Career Xploration 2015: Demystifying the Misconceptions of an Arts Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

As events like Faculty Cup draw near, students from different disciplines vie to prove the value of their chosen academic career. Oftentimes, I sense the condescending tones in people’s voices when I introduced myself as a Political Science major. “Politics, what good does that do in the real world?” Hearing demotivating conversations like this from others who believe their degrees are somehow superior to mine naturally makes me cringe.

A look at admission and recruiting practices also manifests this concern; for-profit universities rushed to put people through their degrees. Never before has there been such a fast growing pool of graduates. The result? Many are left to question where their competitive advantages lie.

This is a sentiment shared by many of my peers who are midway through their Bachelor of Arts degree. As the media sell news headings that claim liberal arts degrees are worthless, I challenge, instead, that it is well worth the money.

I had the chance this year to attend the annual Arts Career Xploration event, made up of discussion panels that address opportunities for industries relevant to liberal arts. The theme this year was “Make the Connection.” The organizers urge students to “make connections that speak to you,” not only in literal terms, but also with regards to ideas and career choices. With professionals from 21 of the 27 UBC arts departments, I was amazed by the inspiring energy at the event. As well, there was a wide array of presenters at different points in their career paths. From recent alumni who are searching for their identity after leaving university, to those who have established reputation in their fields, the profile and demographic of the presenters offer us a comparative outlook at the reality of the job market. No matter where we might be in our degrees, the event offered us multiple models for us to attach to. In particular, I attended the marketing panel, where alumni shared their experiences of finding their place in the work force, whether by raising funds for projects, foreseeing advertising trends, or networking and liaising with personnel, all of the alumni made the resounding statement that employers value all university degrees, along with the skill sets and assets that encompasses each one. Lessons learned from the event instilled in me again the value of what I do. In many ways, the event was s a catalyst for me to think beyond the classroom, and stop treating my degree abstractly.

In retrospect, I was never reticent to declare my love for the arts and humanities. I, along with a majority of people I know, have chosen this path from a young age. In fact, with so many exciting opportunities out there, the stumbling block for me had always been where to focus my energy. An event like Arts Xploration can help find the answer to this question.

As I navigate through my journey at UBC, I begin to also envision a space for dialogue among all the communities I encounter, not explicitly arts. The exhilarating courses that I’ve taken have not only helped to refine this interest, but also to sharpen ways to communicate and express myself. My comprehensive arts degree had brought me exponential growth and opportunities for self-exploration that would have otherwise been unimaginable, had I pursued another degree. What is more, my commitment to social justice and intersectionality has equipped me with the intercultural competence and the emotional intelligence to respect cultural, gender, and racial differences. I blossomed into an engaging citizen of the world.

The fact of the matter is, no one I know actually focuses their degree entirely on academics. Our university experiences are often complimented by volunteer and extra curricular activities, which allow us to acquire skills that are applicable to the real world. As global economies shift and change, arts degrees have the flexibility to customize to what the market needs. There will always be people in every faculty that do not excel, to say that a certain degree is better than another is simply narrow-minded. Instead of doubting your academic choices, I encourage everyone to question whether you have acquired critical skills of your discipline. If not, what can you change so that you can? It can be through the addition of relevant courses, more networking opportunities, work experiences, variation in the shaping of your degree, and so on. The exploration of this goal can take all shapes and forms. 

Breathe into your interest, find your niche! That’s what your degree, an Arts degree, is for. So celebrate it!