AMS Bike Co-op Programs Manager: Aida Mas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The AMS Bike Co-op, founded back in 1998, was initially started by a group of students who wanted to reduce the amount of cars commuting to campus by sharing a fleet of bicycles that students could use. Since then, the Bike Co-op has expanded their operations, and is still run by a team of dedicated volunteers. They continue to promote biking as a safe and sustainable method of transportation

They offer many programs and workshops for beginners to experts, and this week we caught up with Aida Mas, the Programs Manager for the AMS Bike Co-op. We discuss the upcoming programs they have in store, the accessibility of cyclers in Vancouver, and her passions.

After graduating in 2011 with a degree in Political Science and Economics, Aida continued her studies at UBC, earning a Master’s Degree in Ecological Economics in 2013. She got involved with the AMS Bike Co-op about a year ago because of her passion for bikes and cycling, and because she was “really interested in reducing barriers to autonomous mobility, and helping folks learn to do maintenance on their own bikes” at UBC and in Vancouver. “As someone who has studied the technical and academic aspects of sustainability and social justice, I [also] appreciate the Bike Co-op & Bike Kitchen’s pragmatic approach to these issues,” she adds.

As the Programs Manager, Aida coordinates the Bike Co-op’s educational outreach and advocacy programs. This year they are planning some new programs and events, including:

• Volunteer Bike Building, “where [they] build bikes for [those] that currently don’t have access to one.”

• They then use the bikes for the Bici Libre program, which “provide bikes to facilitate the mobility of seasonal agricultural workers in the Lower Mainland by providing them with bikes and free tune-ups at monthly clinics.” 

• In the winter, the Bike Co-op will be partnering up with Our Community Bikes for their Pedals for the People program which also aims to provide bikes for those who need them. 

Because cycling is Aida’s main mode of transportation, we asked for her thoughts on the safety and accessibility of fellow bikers in Vancouver. With the implementation of more bike lanes, counters and lockers at SkyTrain stations in the Lower Mainland, she believes that Vancouver “has taken some steps in the right direction, but could be doing a lot more to encourage cycling.”

“We currently have large gaps in our cycling infrastructure (see HUB’s UnGaptheMap campaign), which desperately need to be addressed. A lot of our cycling infrastructure is also inadequate and borderline dangerous, such as Main Street, a sharrow (shared-lane marking) where cyclists are expected to ride in the door zone of parked cars.”

Aida suggests other improvements the city should make towards becoming more cycle-friendly, including a bike share program and the “[elimination] of the paternalistic helmet bylaw.”.

Her advice for those who want to become a cycle commuter? To make sure that “[your] bike is suitable and comfortable for commuting, getting rain gear, and researching [your] routes in advance to avoid ending up on main roads.”

Aida’s favourite places to ride are the Gulf Islands, and the Legacy Trials in the Canadian Rockies. In addition to biking, she loves the outdoors, enjoys rock climbing, winter sports, hiking and kayaking. “I’m also passionate about advancing social justice, sustainability and multiculturalism,” topics that focused on during her studies at UBC.

She encourages those who might be interesting in getting involved with the AMS Bike Co-op to attend one of their regular drop-in volunteer programs, such as their Purple and Yellow Volunteer Night or Recycle Night. “These programs are a great place to learn about bike mechanics, cycling culture, and to meet other cyclists. There’s also free pizza!” 

Learn more about the AMS Bike Co-op and the Bike Kitchen.

Kelly is a UBC student studying microbiology and nutrition. She is a strong supporter for girls and women in STEM fields, and loves all things health and fitness - despite her lack of athleticism. You'll most likely find her on campus or around the city with her earbuds in. Aside from being a big foodie and travel enthusiast, she enjoys discussing anything related to pop-culture, social media, or public health!Find her on Twitter.