5 Things I Learned as a Commuter Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

As a first-year student with guaranteed on-campus housing I took so many things for granted. Now, as a salty old second-year, I am dealing with a whole slew of new situations associated with living off-campus.

Here are some things that I had to learn the hard way: 

1. Vancouver neighbourhood price points

If you’re living off-campus, you probably still want something nearby. Sadly, some of the closest neighbourhoods such as Kitsilano and Westbrook are far too expensive for many broke students. Dunbar is more reasonably priced, but you probably still have to share with three or more roommates in order to afford it, plus the houses tend to be older. Of course, if you look at it as being “vintage” instead of “old” it isn’t so bad. 

2. It’s hard to join a roommate group

If you’re alone and looking for a place to share, you’ll probably see many places advertising a single room in a suite already occupied by other roommates. These are usually quite well-priced, but joining into the established “roomie vibe” can be difficult. Of course, if you hit it off with them you may end up with a bunch of new best friends, so by all means give it a try.

3. Even if you snag a place close to campus, bussing is still an issue

I knew bussing could be spotty, but if you’re living on campus everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. Sadly this is not the case off-campus. If you live along one of the main UBC bus lines you may also find that busses fill up quite quickly. You might get passed by at the bus stop a few times before actually catching a ride, which can be frustrating when you have ten minutes to get to class. I’d suggest building extra time into any trip plan just in case.

4. Groceries are cheaper

When living on-campus it is just too easy to head to the cafeteria, to a restaurant at the village, or to the Save On Foods in Westbrook for all you nutrition needs. However, here’s the thing: all the food on campus is ridiculously overpriced. Heading to grocery stores off-campus is like stepping into a dream world of affordability. If you’re feeling especially thrifty, visit No Frills in Dunbar for great deals on produce. 

5. You’ll want to keep in touch with your on-campus friends

It may be difficult to make time to see the friends who managed to snag a treasured year-round housing spot, but it will be worth it. Make sure you keep up with them in case you ever need a place to crash the night before an exam or the morning after a particularly rough night at the Pit. And, you know, because friendship is precious and important. 

Thanks HCUBC Cuties! If you’re considering living off-campus, I hope this helped. If not, I have one more bit of advice: get on that housing list now. I mean now. Close this page and go get on that housing list, because it’s going to fill up fast and you don’t want to be a part of the last-minute housing scramble next fall.

Photocredit: kitsilano.ca, huffingtonpost.com, dailyhive.com, spoonuniversity.com, clubzone.com

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.