21 Signs You Go To UBC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Deep within the depths of hercampus.com lurked an unpublished article by inaugural founder and editor, Zafira Rajan. As an end of semester tribute, we decided to publish this article to commemorate another great year. Thanks readers! xoxo, HCUBC 

1. You politely hold the door open for the person behind you even if you are late and the nearest person is 30 feet away, leaving them not knowing whether to be thankful or creeped out by your gesture.

2. You eat at Honor Roll all the time and think it’s the best thing ever, because your standards for good food at UBC have lowered dramatically over the years.

3. You constantly complain about construction and how UBC is kind of obsessed with it.

4. Even though it rains everyday during winter semester, you still tend to react like this:

5. You still get lost in/confused about/accidentally walk into the wrong class at Buchanan. 

6. You own a Herschel backpack or a pair of Hunter boots. Maybe even both.

7. You can nap just about anywhere.

8. On that note, you use the aquatic centre more for napping than swimming. In fact, you get highly irritated by people yelling and splashing around in the water because they frequently interrupt your nap.

9. You curse Connect everyday.

10. You convince yourself you will study at Irving, but you know that you will in fact meet every person you know in there and not really do anything.

11. You aspire to be as well-rounded as possible and convince yourself that you are, given the amount of invitations to club, faculty and student society social events that you constantly have to decide between.

12. You are super outdoorsy. You can’t wait to hit the slopes at Whistler with your amazingly discounted ski pass.

13. Similarly, you can remember the last time you attended a varsity game (never?) even though you know our teams are actually really good. The Thunderbirds are in a Canadian Tire commercial, people. A CANADIAN TIRE COMMERCIAL! FOR HOSES!

14. You have trekked up and down the stairs to Wreck Beach and counted how many steps there are to make sure everyone wasn’t lying about it.

15. You have Instagrammed the rose garden, Wreck Beach, the mountains, or a sunset at UBC at least once.

16. You engage in friendly competition between your classmates and friends, as UBC tends to breed a competitive classroom atmosphere.

17. You exercise your bragging rights to the multitude of amazing movies and series shot on our campus.

18. You didn’t figure out that Koerner is meant to look like a book until much, much later.

19. You’ve stood on that circle thing in to hear your voice echo.

20. You hate those skateboarding people who seem to look at you like this.

21. Most of all, despite your complaints and frustrations, you know you are at an amazing university, and you really wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Zafira is a fourth-year English Literature Major at the University of British Columbia and is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UBC. She grew up in sunny Kenya and now lives amongst the beaches and mountains that is beautiful British Columbia. She is thrilled to introduce Her Campus at UBC and build towards its strength in Canada! When she's not reading a book, she is usually wrestling with her hair and her umbrella under the constant torrents of rain in Vancouver, or can be seen with a yoga mat tucked under her arm, as Vancouverites do.
Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus UBC. Originally from Calgary, Jessica is a third-year English Honours student at UBC. She loves reading anything she can get her hands on, and sometimes she even writes, too.