ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#ReclaimingMyTimeIn2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Jordan JaDella Smith 

1.)  Take a look in the mirror

“I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways, and no message could have been any clearer. If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself, and then make a change.” 

– Micheal Jackson

By taking a look in the mirror you are reevaluating your life. What are you doing wrong? What is going right? How can you fix the current problems of your life and how can you continue to improve in areas of your life that are going pretty well? 

• What’s your dream in life? Your ultimate goal?
  •  What do you really want out of life?
  • Are you doing everything you can to reach your goal/s?
  • Why are you unhappy?
  • Are you happy or just really comfortable? 
  • Are you ready for change?
  •  Are you filling your life with “time-wasters?” 

As soon as you start really looking at your life then you began to realize what needs to be switched, fixed, or continued to be worked on.”Envision your dream and walk toward it” and make absolutely no excuses. 

2.) Unfollow everyone on social media who makes you feel unworthy

STOP comparing yourself to others and what they choose to show to the world. “Comparison is the thief of joy.” You are beautiful, and you DO NOT need a perfect body with flawless pictures and exotic backgrounds to showcase that. No one has a faultless life with tons of “friends,” but social media relays the message of a quite impressive life. Always love yourself and focus on your real relationships and things that improve your gifts in life. “Youz kind, youz smart, youz impotant” and don’t you ever forget that.

3.) Put yourself first 

It is definitely okay to say “no” and be selfish with your time. Take care of yourself and enjoy your space so that you can become the best version of yourself. Watch your favorite television show. Read. Run a personal errand. Go get your nails done. Take yourself shopping and buy some new shoes or a shirt. You are your own priority, and scheduling time specifically for yourself should be a goal every day.

4.) Learn to be your own best friend

Get to know yourself better. Learn what you love, what you dislike, and what brightens your day. Practice self-reflection. Take yourself out, treat yourself with kindness and respect, and grasp the concept of loving yourself. 

5.) Spend time with people you care about and those who care about you too

Stop using the excuse that you are so “busy” and can’t do anything. Free your calendar to go grab coffee, lunch, or dinner to catch up. We all have deadlines to meet and other responsibilities that take up time, but its okay to put the work down and have a little fun. 

6.) Make a move

Get up and do what you have been putting off. If you have been wanting to lose weight, go to the gym, start a diet, and drink more water. Make a game plan. Delaying what needs to be done is not going to get you to your goals any quicker. Being young is not an excuse anymore. You “grown” remember? 

7.) Volunteer more

Donate. Donate. Donate. It is important to remember that not everyone in this world is as blessed as you. What you might not seem to appreciate, someone else will. Give your time and show that the world still has loving and kind people. 

8.) Start saving 

You do not have to go out every weekend, and you do not have to eat out every day. By learning the concept of saving now “you can make that ‘one day’ come much sooner.” 

9.) Be the friend you look for in others

Check on your strong friend. Send more “how are you doing” and “I miss you” messages.

10.) 30-40 minutes

Spend more time with God.Try to read a daily scripture. Hit the gym today! The cake can wait. McDonalds will always be there and so will the midnight snacks. Commit to 30-40 minutes daily.

“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” 

– Pablo Picasso 

HCUAB