This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Jazz Jam at Dave’s Pizza.(L-R; Logan Palmer on bass, Bekah Fountain on alto, Chris Allison on bari, and Dr. Steve Roberts on trumpet.)

Name: Logan Palmer

Major: Music Technology

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Alexander City

Music Tech Maestro Logan is very active with various music ensembles on campus; He’s participated in many groups within the UAB Department of Music; jazz combo, jazz ensemble, marching band, and guitar ensemble.

Logan is a talented and diverse musician. In his down time, he juggles several projects at once; from making his own arrangements of his favorite songs, doing covers of his favorite bands and posting them on SoundCloud, to participating in Dr. Gene Fambrough’s Progressive Rock Project. He’s covered bands such as Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Dixie Dregs, and Liquid Tension Experiment.

Logan was also fortunate enough to land an internship with the Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center in the tech department.

Logan playing his arrangment of Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory

Bekah: How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

Logan: Loyal, Passionate, Reasonable.

Bekah: What’s your favorite thing about your major?

Logan: Being able to do what I like to do and having it mean something.

Bekah: What made you choose your major?

Logan: It was one of the few majors that I felt was the right choice for me.

Bekah: What’s your dream job?

Logan: I’ve been very interested in mixing and sound engineering lately.

Bekah: What’s your favorite quote?

Logan: “Look who’s on TV, mama… it’s the devil.” – The Waterboy

Bekah: What’s your favorite movie?

Logan: The Matrix

Bekah: Who is your role model?

Logan: Other than my father, I don’t really have a “role model” aside from musical influences such as Smashing Pumpkins, Primus, Rush, Led Zeppelin, etc.

Bekah: If you could bring one musician back from the dead, who would it be and why?

Logan: That’s a very tough question to answer and there are really no right answers, but if I had choose then I’d probably say Buddy Holly. He died far too young in such a tragic way. Others like Kurt Cobain, Jimmi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, you name it, have met unfortunate ends at a young age as well. However, I say Buddy Holly because the plane crashed just after his career began to take off, and there’s no telling what greatness he could’ve achieved later.

Broadcast Journalism Major and Political Science Minor at University of Alabama at Birmingham. I enjoy writing, music, video games, and spending time with my mom, grandmother, and rescue pup, Dodger!
HCUAB