This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.
  1. What are your career goals? “I want to be a pediatrician! I have wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid. My mom got me this “nurse set” and I called it a doctor set. When my cousins and I were younger we would even do surgery on our stuffed animals, using real stitches that their dad had because he was a vet. It was probably a little bit dangerous for 8 year olds, but whatever.”
  2. Campus Involvement? “I am a Resident Assistant for UAB Housing and Residence Life. I am in Alpha Omicron Pi, where I have held several roles, my most recent being Vice President of Academic Development. I am a biology and organic chemistry tutor at the VMASC. And I am the president of the Dance Marathon at UAB.”
  3. Where do you see yourself in the next 20 years? “In 20 years, I will be 41 and that’s kind of hard to imagine. I hope that I will have a family by then. Hopefully be working in a Children’s Hospital or running my own practice, but who really knows!”
  4. Goals and aspirations? “My biggest goal at the moment is graduating college with a 3.5, and doing well on the MCAT. Since high school, I have had this serious doubt about myself and my abilities, and by the time I let that go when I was a sophomore, my GPA had already suffered. These past two years, I have tried my hardest to bring my GPA up, and it took until last semester for me to get my first 4.0!”
  5. Favorite movie, artist, and thing to do and why? “I went through a big gangster movie phase where I watched Goodfellas and the Godfather trilogy multiple (like 11) times in one summer, and those are still some of my favorites. I also love chick flicks like Bridesmaids and White Chicks. My favorite artist is Frida Khalo because she was a strong woman who never let her disabilities stop her. Her art shows pain and vulnerability, but is still widely renown and beautiful. My favorite thing to do is hang out with friends. I often get in my own head about everything that I do, and it’s good to vent and let out those frustrations to people who understand you. It’s also good to put the pen down from the study guide every once in a while and have a glass of wine!”
  6. More information on UAB Dance Marathon (DM) “Dance Marathon is a nationwide fundraising initiative for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. At UAB, all of our money goes to Children’s of Alabama. Our Main Event will be on February 16th in the underground of New Freshman Residence Hall. To register and fundraise go to https://events.dancemarathon.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.event&eventID=2940. It’s $10 but that includes food and a t shirt! If you don’t want to go to the main event, you can catch us on campus during our monthly PR events! We would love to have as much involvement from the UAB community as possible!”
  7. Any last comments? “Believe in yourself- I know it gets hard sometimes, and self-doubt is a kicker but you have to believe that you can do it, and just do it. There have been so many times in my life where I didn’t apply for something or didn’t send an email or didn’t ask for something because I was afraid of rejection. I mad a promise to myself that this year was going to be the year that I stopped caring and just did it, and I encourage you to do the same, no matter what it is!”