This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Valentine’s Day is about love, but you don’t need to be in a relationship or have a partner to feel the love. Maybe all your gal-pals are going on dates this year or have been scheduled to work but that is no reason to spend the night wallowing over the fact that you’re still single this Valentines Day. That’s why I’m proposing that you show yourself some love and plan the perfect date for you. After all, who knows how to show you a better time than yourself?

Here are few ideas for dates with yourself. You can make a whole day of it or pick and choose a few.

1. Get some fresh air

Go on a hike, go on a walk, go to the park. Just get outside and look at the beauty around you. Take some time to appreciate where you are and the simple things in life that can make you smile, like two squirrels chasing each other up a tree or all the colors of the sky blending together to create a beautiful sunset. There’s nothing more rewarding than that feeling of accomplishment you get once you reach the end of a hike and get to look out at the view. Take a few moments to meditate here and just be at peace with yourself.

Here’s an article on how to meditate for beginners.

2. Take yourself out for dinner

Who says you have to have a date to get a nice meal on Valentine’s Day? If you’re going to be your own date, might as well treat yourself to your favorite meal. If you don’t feel comfortable going out alone, you could order takeout and enjoy your meal wherever you want. Or if you like to cook, you could even make yourself a nice home-cooked meal.

3. Don’t forget dessert!!!

Don’t hesitate to order that dessert. It is Valentine’s Day, a holiday that’s simply not complete without sweets. So buy yourself some chocolates or bake yourself some cookies. If food is the closest way to someone’s heart, show yourself some love.

4. Get warm and cozy and relax

Put on your favorite romantic comedy or grab your favorite book and cuddle up with your coziest blanket. Draw yourself a bath, light some candles, and throw in a bath bomb. Let yourself be warm and comfortable with the familiar things that you love. There is no shame in just laying on the couch and relaxing. You deserve it.

5. Write yourself a love letter

Jot down all the things you love about yourself and don’t hold back, this is just for you. There is something so personal and intimate about writing something down for your eyes only. So think about all the things that make you the beautifully unique and amazing person you are and write the most romantic, loving letter you’ve ever written.

6. Appreciate life

Reflect on all the things you like about your life. Try and keep all the negativity away. There is always something to be grateful for, even if it is the simplest of things. Good vibes only.

7. Forgive

If you’ve done all these things and more for yourself and you’re still feeling unsettled or maybe find that someone else keeps occupying your thoughts, you’re still holding on to something. If you are still angry at someone who hurt you, it’s doing more harm to your mental health than you think. Try writing them a letter of forgiveness, if not for them, do it for yourself. You don’t even have to send it to them, but just writing it down can lift a huge weight off your shoulders and your soul. If you can find it in your heart to forgive someone, you can truly move on with your life and focus on you.

If you’re going to make this a day for you, you might as well commit. Don’t let negative feelings hover over you. If you’re experiencing a lot of emotions, that is okay. Sometimes you just need to give into that and feel those emotions in their rawest form. But if you’ve been holding on to something for a while or just feeling gross about life right now, planning yourself a fantastic date to celebrate you is a healthy way to take a step in the direction of moving on with your life. And hey, a little self-love never hurt anyone!