My Brother Is Coming To Live With Me Next Year & Here’s Why I’m Sad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

This next weekend my brother will be graduating from high school and I can hardly deal with all the emotions that makes me feel. He is becoming a young man and moving on to an important phase in his life, which also makes me happy. I will be attending his last soccer games this weekend and no longer will he really be my “little brother”, but more of my “grown up little brother”. I love going to all of his games to watch him play, as it gives me something to do, but I also enjoy watching him do something that brings him happiness.

Living with him next year will be interesting (as it is living with any sibling) but I’m excited because we get along so well. He will have his own furniture and really be on his own, which means instant noodles and boxed food in all reality, but it makes him seem so much more grown up than he seems right now. He will have the freedom of a bird and I’m so glad I get to watch him transition into more of a man.

Of course we have normal sibling upsets, but that doesn’t mean I love him any less than any other sibling. While it does make me sad to see him in the final stages of a high school life and see him grow up, it also makes me really, really happy. I hope he finds joy in the stressful world of college and expands his experiences. Basically this is a shout out to the ups and downs of watching your sibling grow up. Old things end, changes come, but new even better things arise. I will admit that I am going to cry at his graduation, both tears of sadness and happiness, and I will probably cry at his last sport games. Through it all, I was given great memories and I look forward to what the future has in store for my amazing, all grown up brother.

1, 2

1
1

1
1
I am the current co-correspondent of the University of Wyoming! I spend my time reading lots of historical information, cooking, going out with my friends, and eating ice cream. I am a history major and my plans are to attend grad school to be a public librarian!
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016