Career > Her20s

How Advising Relieved My “Senior Year” Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

The end is near! By “the end”, I mean the end of the semester! I don’t know about you all, but I am so ready for next semester! I will be starting my final year of my undergrad in the fall and I couldn’t be more excited. Towards the end of the semester, people start to get burnt out when it comes to their major. Professors are dumping on the homework and exams and nothing seems fun anymore. One thing that always gets me pumped about completing my major is my advising appointment. It could just be because I am the ultimate planner when it comes to my life, but I can’t be the only one who gets excited about a new round of classes and continuing knowledge.

Since I started at the University of Wyoming, I have bounced around in my degree choices until I finally landed on psychology. I have also mixed and mingled with various minors like physiology, neuroscience, and psychology (before I landed it as a major). I never quite found something that I actually wanted to pursue until my advising appointment last week.

I told my advisor that I wanted to change my minor because I no longer enjoyed it. She listed off sociology, human development, neuroscience, general science, and disability studies as potential minors that I could finish in my final year. I was instantly hooked on disability studies. I had never heard of this program on campus, but somehow I knew that it would be a good fit for me. Once I finish my undergrad, I will be headed off to occupational therapy school to pursue my doctorate. I see this minor as a chance to gain valuable experience and information that will be useful in my future.

I was nervous heading into my advising appointment. I was scraping the bottom of the barrel for psychology classes that I hadn’t already taken and panicking about how to fit in another full year. Sitting down and bouncing ideas off of my advisor helped so much, and I am ready to take on my final year with full force.

Happy planning Pokes!

1, 2

1

1
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016