Wellness

The Beginning of My Keto Journey – What Is It and Why Am I Doing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Does keto bring the worst sweet cravings during the first week? Yes, absolutely. Does it supposedly help you lose weight? Yes, I hope so. I have started a keto journey mainly because I would like to lose weight. The problem with most diets, as I have been told, is that people lose the weight, then go back to their old eating habits. I am also hoping that from this diet I will develop better eating habits and be more conscious of what I am eating on a day-to-day basis. 

As I am getting older, keeping off weight has become harder and harder without eating healthy and exercising. I know this makes me sound like some typical diet person, but I am just an ordinary person who wants to lose some weight and transfer into a better eating lifestyle. The keto diet can also help with sugar cravings and cuts most sugar out of your diet. This can also be helpful for diabetics in controlling their sugar intake.  

So the keto diet is when you heat a high amount of fat and low carbohydrates. A person’s body transfers carbohydrates into energy and through ketosis, instead the body burns fat for energy. This burns the fat off your body and helps you lose weight. 

I have been eating tons of butter and eggs and cream cheese which sometimes feels even more gross compared to a greasy hamburger. I am currently dreaming about cakes and hamburgers and everything that has bread or potatoes involved. This is the stage, the first week, where the sugar cravings are really bad and one may feel like they have no energy. Within a couple weeks, the body will transfer to ketosis and start losing weight, which I cannot wait for!. 

I am very early in my diet, but I already feel like I want to give up when confronted with sweets or breaded chicken. I am very determined to go through with this diet for at least two months and I hope to see the results I would like. I am using a website called dietdoctor.com to help me navigate what foods I can or cannot eat, which is also helpful and gives a great overview of the keto diet. Wish me luck because the struggle is real, but I also hope it will show real results! I am not encouraging this diet, I just wanted to share this struggle with no carbs and how excited I am to start!  

1, 2, 34

I am the current co-correspondent of the University of Wyoming! I spend my time reading lots of historical information, cooking, going out with my friends, and eating ice cream. I am a history major and my plans are to attend grad school to be a public librarian!
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016