harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Reminders for the Rough Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

We have all been there. Those days that make you want to pull out your hair, curl up in a ball, and never leave your bed. I will be the first to admit that these days make it almost impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel. So from someone who has rough days quite frequently, here are my 10 reminders to help me get out of the bed in the morning.

1.     You’re doing your best.

I know it may not feel like it right now, but you are. Some days you can take on the world and some days getting out of bed is a feat. It’s called balance, and there’s nothing wrong with it.

2.     Tomorrow is a new day.

Cliché, I know. But it’s true. Today has been awful, but tomorrow is a fresh start. So, when you wake up, tell the world that today is your day and prove it. You owe it to yourself.

3.     You’re not alone.

On the rough days, it is easy to feel alone in the world. Take a moment to look around you though. Appreciate the person holding open the door, your friend texting you just to say hi, or even your pet curled up next to you. You’re surrounded by love. You just have to wipe the day from your eyes to see it.

4.     Remember the Yin and Yang of life.

I have a quote hanging in my hallway that says, “Sunshine all the time makes a desert.” This quote is my daily reminder that life isn’t always sunshine and daisies. Sometimes its dark clouds and heartache, and that is okay. Bad days make the good days better. Don’t think of this as a rough day, think of it as your set up for a great day ahead.

5.     Will this matter in a year?

When something has really got you down, ask yourself if this will matter a year from now. I find that 9/10 it won’t even matter a week from now. Keep in mind; it’s a rough day, not a rough life.

6.     It’s okay to take some “me time”

People can be unbelievably overwhelming. Even if it is just five minutes in a bathroom stall, take some time to be alone. I find that sometimes people heighten my emotions, and by being alone I can rationalize the situation easier.

7.     Breathe.

I get it. School. Work. Relationships. You might as well be carrying a million-pound brick on your chest. Especially if you are prone to anxiety attacks, remember to breathe. My favorite thing? Step outside, sit on a curb or step, and just breathe. Let the world embrace you, let the fresh air tickle your nose, and set your luggage down for a minute.

8.     Find a reason to smile.

It can be extremely tough to think of anything to be positive about sometimes. Try finding a video, song, or even have someone on speed dial that you know will bring a smile to your face.

9.     It’s okay to cry.

Face it, sometimes there is no other way to feel better than to just let it all out. That’s okay, too! Need a little help getting those tears flowing? Listen to “Jealous” by Labrinth. I swear, it works every time.

10.  You got this!

At the end of the day, don’t forget that you got this. There are so many people around you, supporting your every move. So don’t give up, let this bad day turn into a bad week, or think that this is just how life is now. It’s just a tough day, but you, my friend, are tougher.

1

cover

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.