This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It seems ridiculous that a nineteen year old college student with no sufficient funds is imagining her first car to be a BMW or Mercedes, isn’t it?

I cannot express how often I have gotten weird looks for having ridiculously high standards in all aspects of my life, when I clearly don’t have the  means for it to make logical sense. For example, being selective with who I associate myself with, despite being bullied and not having much selection at all. Or using all of my hard earned money to purchase only brand name clothing instead of buying the cheaper alternative and saving the rest. To me, it has nothing to do with these materialistic objectives, but rather the concept of training your mindset to know you deserve the best in every aspect of your life and to work hard to achieve it.

We grow up in a society where we are subconsciously raised to settle. You wanted an A grade, but you got a B. You wanted a Prince Charming, but you got a frog. You wanted a Beamer, but you settled for a Honda. Everyone justifies that the next best is still good and that you should be happy, but if you settle for one you’re going to train yourself to settle for the other, and that’s just not the way I want to view things.

Let me lay out a simple equation for you;

Hard work + Consistency + Law of Attraction = Desired outcome

Law of Attraction is one of the most phenomenal concepts out there, because the principle behind it is that you attract what you reflect. What you put out, you will receive. If you radiate high standards, you are going to attract people with high standards in your life, and vice versa for the opposite. If you choose to be the best of the best, you are going to have friends that are the best of the best, you are going to drive the best of the best, and you are going to receive grades that are – you guessed it, the best of the best.

I may be ridiculous for dreaming big and wanting my desired outcome without the financial means or the resources. But I’ve worked hard for everything that I own, and if I redirect that hard work into achieving these materialistic objectives, then the equation will work in my favour. And if I don’t? Well, I may be taking transit, but you won’t see me driving a Honda.

A third year aspiring commerce major. I'm a very multileveled person, so I'll leave you with one quote "be good to people for no reason". You'd be surprised how much it can change the lives of others and your own. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison