This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

For all you first years wondering where to go and what to do with your free time, fear no more. Here are eleven activities to do in your first year in Victoria.

1. Take a group of friends to the Board Game Café. Located downtown at 723 Yates St., it is the perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon. Not only does it have delicious milkshakes and paninis, but the servers are also trained to teach you how to play any of the board games they have!  

2. Go on a hike at Goldstream. It is a fair hike so bring water, but the view is totally worth the treck! You can take awesome pictures on the trestle bridge or by the waterfall. The Island is known to be an outdoorsy place and this is one of its many gems.

3. Do a yoga class off campus or, if you are feeling really adventurous, a paddle board yoga class in Cadboro Bay.

4. Have tea at Murchie’s. There are a lot of places to drink tea in style in Victoria; however, most are not affordable for a student. Luckily, Murchie’s is both!

5. Go to WildPlay Element Parks. While this is a pricier activity, it is totally worth it. Monkido Adventure course is up in the trees; you can zipline, climb and swing.

6. Go shopping at The Patch. I hardly doubt that I am the only person who played dress-up as a kid. This “high quality vintage clothing store” is even more fun than a VV Boutique (Value Village) trip. I have spent many days with my friends at The Patch trying on funky glasses and poufy skirts. Enjoy exploring this fun shop!

7. Visit the Beacon Hill Park Petting Zoo. Who doesn’t like cute animals? I know I do! This is the perfect stress reliever after a long day of classes and responsibility.

8. Go to Butchart Gardens around Christmas time when the lights are up. This is literally the best Christmas tradition I have ever started with my friends and family. Between the outdoor skating rink, carolers and endless array of Christmas lights woven throughout the gardens, this is an absolute must.

9. Walk the Ogden Point Breakwater. This is an awesome way to see the Pacific Ocean and feel like you are walking on water, and a fun place to take photos with your friends on a beautiful sunny day.

10. Do a Ghost tour of the city. This is one fun (and creepy) way of getting to know Victoria a little better…

11. Finnerty Gardens at UVic. This is super close to campus so if you need a break in the middle of day. It has over “4,000 different trees and shrubs” and one definitely feels peaceful in this little UVic oasis.

Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison