kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Making the Most of Your Bus Commute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

When I first started university, I wasn’t thrilled with my hour-long commute. Thinking about the two hours I would spend in transit made me feel like I was wasting a huge chunk of my day. But, as I enter my fourth year, I’ve found a lot of ways to make use of that time. 

Podcasts

Podcasts are a go-to for most people. They’re entertaining and often educational, so they can even feel productive. I look forward to my time on the bus where I can just sit back, relax, and just listen. For some podcast inspiration, check out this article on some of our favourites.

Audiobooks

Like podcasts, audiobooks  are another way to enjoy some auditory entertainment. If you’re like me and get carsick while reading on the bus, you can continue your favourite book while keeping your eyes on the road. I’d recommend downloading the cloud library app, where you can take out audiobooks for  free from the Greater Victoria Public Library. 

Sleep

This one can be a little tricky if you’re worried about missing your stop. However, if you’re on your way to UVic—the bus’s final destination— it’s the perfect option! More often than not you’ll catch me snoozing to and from school.

Make your grocery list/to-do lists/plan your day

The bus can be the perfect place to organize your day, or your life, a little bit. Organizing your day planner, writing a to-do list, or even making a grocery list can be a great way to bring some order back to what might seem like a hectic day ahead.

Do your academic reading

It may not be the most fun way to spend your commute, but it sure is productive. If you don’t have a problem reading on the bus, getting some academic reading done can really help fight the feeling of wasting time in transit. If you do get carsick, try using the read-aloud function available on most PDFs.

Read for fun

If you don’t get carsick, ditch the audiobook and enjoy the real thing!

Work on an assignment

If you can remember before you get on the bus, download some assignments saved in your Google Drive and use the offline feature to get some homework done during your ride.

Study/flashcards

We all feel like we could use some more time to study, especially when we’ve been putting it off forever. As long as you’re trapped in this metal tube for multiple hours a day, you might as well do some learning. Take a pack of flashcards with you and use the time to test your knowledge.

Bike/run/walk for your workout

Forego the bus altogether and combine your workout and commute into one. Depending on where you live, biking, walking, or running to school could be the ideal way to get in some exercise, without having to spend valuable time at the gym. Try to get a first-come-first-serve locker on campus to store any extra gear you might need. You can also bus one way and bike/run/walk the other. Bike racks on the bus can be a lifesaver if you’re just not up to biking all the way home after a long day (we’ve all been there).

How do you spend your commuting time? Let us know in the comments!

Abby was born and raised in Victoria and loves it here on the island. She's a fourth-year (!) student studying Political Science and the Human Dimensions of Climate Change. When she's not studying, chances are you can find her playing soccer, biking, or watching The West Wing.
Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.