This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

You probably know someone who listens to podcasts. You know this because they somehow bring them up in almost every conversation you have with them. They always have a new one they are listening to, and one they recommend; maybe they have even started their own. Somehow, without really trying, I’ve become one of those people—and to be honest, I get it now.

Have a long commute? Podcasts. Want to learn a lot about a specific topic? Podcasts. Want to sound like an intellectual? Podcasts. Want to feel like a real adult? Podcasts. Want people on public transit to think you’re crazy because you’re laughing to yourself with headphones in? Podcasts.

But seriously, I’ve been converted. Especially for women, I think podcasts are super important. There are so many podcasters who amplify and validate women’s voices and experiences, and women who have creative control over their own podcasts and online presence.

There really is a podcast for every theme and topic; it can be almost overwhelming. Historical, comedic, chatty, academic, nerdy—you name it. Here are some good ones to start with from a few different categories.

If you like great storytelling

I’ll start with a classic – This American Life. It’s one of the most popular podcasts and one of the first podcasts I ever listened to. Every week, you hear stories and interviews on a topic—babysitting, breakups, car salesmen, crazy coincidences, etc.—from people who are mostly “regular” American people. The host, Ira Glass, interviews them and puts together stories that are funny, poignant, heartwarming, and relatable. It’s no surprise This American Life has consistently been one of the most popular podcasts for the eleven years of its run.

If you want to laugh

Two Dope Queens is one of the funniest podcasts I’ve listened to, I think, ever. The hysterical Phoebe Robinson and Jessica Williams host and have stand-up comedians and celebrities on their show, usually women, people of colour, and LGBTQ folks, often talking about race, womanhood, dating, and life. They’ve made plane rides and walks to school much more enjoyable.

If you’re an unconventional history nerd

Check out Stuff You Missed in History Class! One of the fantastic podcasts put out by HowStuffWorks, Tracy V. Wilson and Holly Frey, this podcast tells stories and interesting facts about people and events in history that aren’t so well known, or were left out. Including the war between Great Britain and the Zulu Kingdom, Carl Tanzler and his dead bride, Jane Austen, and the depiction and description of roses throughout history, there are tons of fascinating things to learn about!

If you’re a beauty addict

Before your next trip to Sephora, have a listen to Breaking Beauty! Hosts Carlene Higgins and Jill Dunn interview founders and creators in the beauty industry and cover beauty industry news, without making it as intimidating as walking into a Sephora store can be. With guests like longtime beauty writer and current beauty director at Goop Jean Godfrey-June and Glossier founder Emily Weiss, I’d recommend it to any makeup or skincare fan (and they’re Canadian, too)!

If you’re interested in what’s going on in Canadian politics (or want to learn more)

Now, I know this may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but hear me out. On The Boys in Short Pants, hosts Etienne Rainville and Laurent Carbonneau cover what’s going on in Canadian federal and provincial politics but make it easy to understand with analysis, debates, and chats. I think it’s super important to be somewhat informed about what’s happening in politics in your country, and I promise Canadian politics aren’t as boring as people seem to think it is. Give it a try!

If you’re trying to figure out how to adult (aren’t we all?)

Stevie Martin and Tessa Coates host The Debrief, where they chat, tell personal stories, research, laugh, and generally give advice for being a “grownup.” Somewhat focussed on experiences of women in their early to mid-20s, I find it super relatable and hilarious. It’s nice to know other people need advice, too, on things like how to keep houseplants alive, how to meet new people, how to be more assertive, and so many other things that come up when trying to navigate the adult world.

If you like a good chat with the gals

The Fringe Of It is a newer podcast I’ve been loving lately! Blogger Liv Purvis and Charlotte Jacklin, one of the creators of Betty magazine, have weekly chats about life, covering topics like confidence, success and ambition, and making friends as adults. Though you’re just listening to their chats, listening to the podcast feels like you’re there chatting with them, too. It’s a lovely listen.

If you’re feeling like an intellectual

One of the most ~intellectual~ podcasts I’ve listened to, NPR’s 1A podcast has conversations on different cultural, social, and political ideas and issues. Along with (mostly American) news roundups, college dropout rates, Confederate statues, the politics of menstruation, and the “smartphone generation” are just a few of the things host Joshua Johnson has covered with guests. After only listening to a few episodes, I feel smarter already.

If you’re trying to navigate relationships in a tech world

Why Oh Why is a podcast about relationships, dating, and love in our increasingly digital and tech-driven world. Though it’s on hiatus at the moment, I can’t help recommending listening to Andrea Silenzi telling stories, talking to and interviewing experts, friends, or random dudes in bars about relationships and technology, and the sometimes awkward, cringey, sweet, and poignant experiences that come with it. I don’t want to say it made me cry, but I’ve definitely teared up listening to it. I’m not saying you will, too, but you just might get something out if it.

These are only a few of the thousands of podcasts that are out there, but they are some of the standouts. Whatever you’re interested in, there’s a podcast for you. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or the individual podcast websites. Soon, you might end up being one of those “people who listen to podcasts,” too.

Photo credits: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

Astra is a fourth-year Political Science, Non-fiction Writing, and French student at UVic. She can often be found talking politics, trying to watch every British show on Netflix, reading fashion blogs, planning dream travel destinations, trying to write, or exploring the many coffee shops or used bookstores Victoria has to offer. She's not sure how seriously she takes astrology, but she's a Leo sun, Taurus moon, and cancer rising.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison