How to Get Skin like Royalty When You’re Not Rich

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Somehow, Kate Middleton can step off a plane she’s been on for hours and look more rested than I ever have in my life; Meghan Markle looks more glowy than I’ve thought humanly possible; and when Princess Diana got married at 20, she looked like she had never been plagued by teenage acne.

Though genetics, health, good makeup artists, flattering photography, and general privilege may have something to do with it, I’ve still spent far more time than I’d like to admit reading about Meghan Markle’s skincare routine and Kate Middleton’s favourite moisturizer. Unfortunately, as a broke uni student, an $85 serum or a $75 moisturizer aren’t splurges I can justify, no matter how hard I try. Luckily, it isn’t too hard to build a skincare routine that you don’t have to be a royal (or future royal) to afford. And since kindness looks good on everyone, all the products I suggest are cruelty-free, too!

Cleansers

In my opinion, a good cleanser is one of the most important parts of a skincare routine, especially if you wear makeup regularly or live in a city with not-so-great air quality—you gotta get all that junk off!

One of the biggest mistakes people make with cleansers (and skin care in general) is using “oil-free” products if they have oily or acne-prone skin. This hurts my soul. When skin is overproducing oil, it is generally because its natural oil is being stripped, it’s starving for hydration, and it over compensates by producing more oil. Most “oil-free” products cause this. No matter your skin type, oil is not bad for it. You just have to be careful of highly comedogenic (pore-clogging) oils like coconut oil. The goal is to let your skin have some oil, but not be as shiny as the jewels in the Queen’s crown.

Another cleanser feature that can work against you is using foaming cleansers or soaps on your skin. Many foaming cleansers and soaps (especially soaps that aren’t made specifically for facial use) over-cleanse and strip oil from your skin. They can also have sulphates that are super harsh and drying, and can mess up the pH of your skin, making it more dry, red, and irritated. That super tight or squeaky clean feeling you may like from a cleanser is usually not a good sign, sorry to say! The only redness you want is the red carpet you walk on when you marry into the royal family.

But if there’s one thing that I would above all advise against, it’s using makeup removing wipes to wash your face on a regular basis.

I cringe when I see makeup removing wipes in someone’s daily skincare routine. Firstly, they do not get all makeup and grime off. Secondly, they are generally quite rough and can be abrasive. Thirdly, they usually have many of the same sulphates I was just advising against. And lastly, if you needed another reason, they create a ton of waste.

I know, it’s so quick and easy, but I save makeup wipes for the occasional plane ride, sometimes when I’m camping, and the occasional time I fall asleep after drinking the better part of a bottle of wine and wake up realizing I never washed my face. I’m almost sure that, even with the amount of flights Kate Middleton has taken, she doesn’t use facial wipes.

So, what can you use? I like gel formulas, as they work on many different skin types, balm formulas if you have a lot of grime to get off, or oil cleansers (you can literally just rub oil on your face and then wash it off and be done). Some of my favourites are the cult-classic Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser ($22), which lasts for months and has been a favourite among many of my friends. Another classic is The Body’s Shop Sumptuous Cleansing Butter ($16), or sweet almond oil ($16).

Toner

Originally, toners were supposed to bring your skin’s pH back to normal after cleansing, but since your cleanser shouldn’t be disrupting your skin’s pH that much anyways, toner isn’t entirely necessary. However, it can be a good addition to a routine if you have the time and money. I love the Thayer’s Witch Hazel Toner ($19.55) so much I couldn’t not mention it. It could just be the power of suggestion, but it helps with breakouts, calming redness, reducing the look of pores, and keeping skin hydrated. The rose petal one is a favourite of mine—it’ll remind you of all the bouquets of flowers the royals are given!

Exfoliators

Exfoliating is a super important step in a beauty routine that’s unfortunately been tainted by brands that sell exfoliators that scrub away the whole top layer of your skin. That may be an exaggeration, but some exfoliators use rough enough ingredients that it can damage the small veins or cause tiny tears on your skin—not nice stuff! In fact, St. Ives is facing a lawsuit because of it (I see you, St. Ives Apricot Scrub fans, put it down).

Of course, it you’ve found a super scrubby exfoliator that works well, you know your skin best, but I would recommend going for chemical exfoliators, which get rid of dead skin using chemicals rather than scrubbing (don’t ask me, I’m not in science). Just don’t use them every day at first, as they can be a little harsh! They unfortunately tend to run a bit pricier, but the Pixi Glow Tonic (in stores at Shoppers Drug Mart) is hugely popular. First Aid Beauty’s Facial Radiance Pads ($18) also have good reviews. The Ordinary has some more affordable options with their Lactic Acid ($6.50) or Glycolic Acid Toning Solution ($8.70). You may never be as glowy as Meghan Markle, but these can help you come close.

Moisturizers

Usually the last step, but definitely not the least! Moisturizers are super important, especially in winter when your skin can start getting super dry and flakey. Generally, it’s best to use a thicker moisturizer at night, like the Kylie Jenner-approved Mimosa Blossom Dream Cream ($14),  Earth Science Almond-Aloe Moisturizer ($11) if you have sensitive skin, Yes To’s Coconut Souffle Moisturizer ($15) if you have super dry skin, or, if you wanna take a page from Meghan Markle’s book and use rosehip oil, The Ordinary has a much cheaper option ($10) than what she uses. For the morning, using a lighter moisturizer that doubles as a primer and/or has SPF is best, I love Glossier’s Priming Moisturizer, though it’s a little pricey ($27). CeraVe has a cheaper option with SPF to protect your skin while you’re relaxing on the royal yacht.

Serums

A step that you can easily skip, but if you really want to feel fancy or like a functioning adult, buying a serum usually does the trick! They usually are pretty costly, but The Ordinary has a few winners. My hack for getting dewey skin and looking like I slept more than five hours is the Hyaluronic Acid + B5 ($7). The Niacinamide + Zinc ($6) is great for healing breakouts, and Vitamin C serums like the Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution ($13) supposedly brighten skin. With any luck, your skin will almost be as perfect as a royal baby’s.

Lip Balm

Though technically not skincare, considering how many times royal couples get photographed kissing, it’s important to have soft lips! The ever-popular Rosebud Salve ($7.50) has to be popular for some reason, and Burt’s Bees lip balms ($5) are always there for you!

Face Masks

Face masks are another option for when you’re feeling fancy or want to treat yourself! Sheet masks are one option, with packs that targets many different issues from Innisfree (15 masks for $32) or Tonymoly (11 for $28, or $4 each at Urban Outfitters). Lush has natural, fresh, potted masks like Cup O’ Coffee ($12) or Don’t Look at Me ($14). There are rave reviews for the affordable ($17 for 1 pound!) Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, which can be mixed with apple cider vinegar to make a mask. An unexpected dupe for Sephora’s Glamglow Supermud mask is the Life Brand (at Shoppers Drug Mart) Detoxifying Mud Facial Mask. The favourite of YouTubers like Zoella, Origins’ Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask ($20), has lasted me for years. Or if you really want to feel like royalty, look no further than Queen Helene’s Mint Julep Masque ($11).

Miscellaneous

Just when you thought there couldn’t be more! If you want to live as long as the Queen and still look bright-eyed, it’s a good idea to invest in an eye cream like Mario Badescu’s Hyaluronic Cream ($18). If you want an affordable product to cleanse, remove makeup, and hydrate, Simple’s Micellar Water is only $8 and smells vaguely like cake to me (though I would recommend it as a primary cleanser before using another gel or oil cleanser). If you need to reduce the look of a pimple or blemish before a royal ball, Mario Badescu’s Drying Lotion ($17) has many famous fans like Lili Reinhart, or the Cosrx Pimple Patches are an Amazon bestseller (24 for $11).

Though you may not be able to afford the skincare favourites of the royals, you can still look and feel like royalty for cheap!

What are your favourite skincare products? Let us know in the comments!

Photo credits: 1/2/3/4/5/6

Astra is a fourth-year Political Science, Non-fiction Writing, and French student at UVic. She can often be found talking politics, trying to watch every British show on Netflix, reading fashion blogs, planning dream travel destinations, trying to write, or exploring the many coffee shops or used bookstores Victoria has to offer. She's not sure how seriously she takes astrology, but she's a Leo sun, Taurus moon, and cancer rising.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison