Four UVic Organizations and Clubs You Need To Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Standing in the SUB during my first day on campus was exciting, intimidating, and slightly confusing.  Students were scrambling everywhere to catch a glimpse at the Communist Club, the MUN team, Her Campus (the best club!), and various other groups unique to our campus. For those of you who didn’t grasp all of the information thrown at you those days, or if you missed the fair all together, here are some of the clubs and organizations that stand out.  

1. International Justice Mission

A newly formulated club on campus, the IJM’s goal for the 2017-2018 school year is to begin their journey in aiding those stricken with severe poverty and living conditions. Moira Louw   founded the club and is enthusiastic for it to take off:

“The IJM UVic club is partnering with IJM, an organization that seeks to protect the poor from violence in the developing world. As a club we want to raise awareness of issues like child slavery, human trafficking, while also fundraising for IJM. Added to raising awareness, IJM is global, but as a club we would like to also establish a local awareness. I’d love to see us support local initiatives, like fair trade coffee companies to ensure we don’t contribute to unethical practices”.

The IJM is a promising and exciting addition to the UVic co-corricular groups, and if you have a desire to help those in desperate need of support and to strive for justice, this may be a club for you!

2. Native Students Union

The UVic Native Students Union is a student-run collective which supports the Indigenous UVic student body. Elinor Atkins, a former councillor at large for the group spoke about some of the aims and accomplishments of the NSU:

“the NSU has allowed me to demonstrate my leadership and has allowed me to be a part of decision making on campus at a large level. As a councillor at large last year, I was able to further develop my skills as a leader and act as a role model within the community”.

So no matter what background, the NSU is always willing to chat with you, and hosts various events and fundraisers to raise awareness for various important causes.

3. Kappa Beta Gamma  

Sororities often are inaccurately portrayed in the media, giving the various sisterhoods negative connotations. Avril Ruud and member of this UVic sorority speaks of how the sorority has provided her various opportunities:

“The sorority is great because it allows you to meet people at University that you wouldn’t have met otherwise. It allows you to have opportunities that you may not get otherwise through philanthropy work as well as social events. As well, it is good for networking and a lot of fun!”

Maybe being in a sorority does not appeal to you, but this group of girls is definitely an asset to our UVic student body and are important to learn about!

4. Model United Nations

Are you interested in diplomacy? Have you always dreamed about working for the UN? Or do you just have a passion for countries, languages, and various cultures? UVic’s Model United Nations Club (MUN) is an exciting, dynamic group of students who want to make a difference in their community and simulate the hands-on problem solving skills that are everyday occurrences in the UN. Lily Hamilton and Astra Lund-Phillips are avid members of the club and wanted to share this information with interested members:

Lily: “The UVIC Model United Nations Club has provided me with so many amazing opportunities. It’s given me the chance to travel and meet people from all over the world who are interested in the same topic I am, International Relations.”

Astra: “When I first joined Model UN it was super daunting, I’d never done anything like it before, and wasn’t really the “Type A” kind of person MUN usually seems to attract. But right from the beginning, I felt like I was important to the team, that I could use my strengths, and work on my weaknesses (mainly public speaking), the amount of encouragement and positivity that everyone showed me made it worth the initial fear.”

Lily: On top of that, is has helped me grow skills in diplomacy, debate, and academic writing, just to name a few. Moreover, I met my closest friends on campus through Model United Nations, they’re all amazing people who have the chance to make a difference, and really want to.

Astra: “There’s something uniquely magical about people from sometimes dozens of countries all being brought together by a common interest. And not gonna lie, it’s a pretty good excuse to travel a bit during the school year, and the cheap trip to New York definitely appealed to me!”

UVic Clubs Days are an opportunity for you to gain lots of useful information and awareness of the opportunities available to you on campus. Even if you are nervous of trying something new or being successful in the groups you join, just remember we are all in the same boat and will get through this together!

Sources:1/2/3/4

Megan Thompson is a third year student at University of Victoria who is completing a degree in Hispanic Studies. She is currently the Outreach Director for her chapter, and after she graduates from UVic she intends to pursue a law degree at either UBC or UVic. 
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison