Four Tips to Help You Survive Midterms Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Calm down, sister! Everyone is just as extremely stressed by the amount of studying that’s demanded by midterms as you. Here are some tips to help you get through this “hell week” because merely sitting, blankly staring at your readings, and posting all your complaints on social media certainly won’t help—at all. Give these tips a try and they might just ease your pain:

First, you need your brain to work well. How do you boost your brainpower? Feed yourself with whole grains! This will adequately and steadily energize your brain, which will allow you to focus and concentrate more while studying. Make sure to choose the ones with a low GI (glycaemic index) as they slowly release glucose into the bloodstream, thus keeping your brain alert all throughout the day! Note: skip the deceitful “comfort food” such as pizza, fries, and chips. Trust me, their “comfort” will only last until your final bite!

Sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep, and sleep. Count the number of times sleep was mentioned and you’ll figure out how many hours of sleep you should get at night – especially on the eve of your midterm exam. While preparing for the exam though, you should also strive to achieve that much sleep as sufficient rest will allow your brain to function efficiently. Why? Lack of sleep causes fatigue. If you feel tired, your mind won’t be able to process as much (complex) information, thus lengthening your time of reviewing. You just want to get these concepts over with and not sit here for another hour, don’t you?

When your brain is all pumped up to do some studying, it is very important to create an optimal learning environment before you get started! Set the “right” mood for you!

When choosing a venue to study at, observe how the lighting, the temperature, and the noise make you feel. Of course, these are subjective. However, some studies have been made and results show that it is recommended for a person to work at a warm well-lit room. As for the noise, it’s advisable to plug in headphones and play music that has no lyrics. If these don’t work for you, experiment by trying different settings out. The goal is to make a comfortable space for you so that you won’t be constantly bugged by all these external factors.

Complete your area with a refreshment on your desk. Stay hydrated with water, or you can also have some caffeine. Many of you source the latter from coffee, but you might want to opt for green tea instead!

Lastly, take breaks. Reenergize yourself by moving around. This does not need to be exhaustive. Stand up, stretch, practice yoga, walk, run, bike, swim…anything! Just reward yourself with some of those “happy hormones” (endorphins) that your body produces when exercising. After which, you can go back to facing your book (not to Facebook)!

Heed these pieces of humble advice, and you’ll be all set! Study hard; study smart!

Originally from Manila, Philippines, Henrika Lim is at her first year taking Commerce at the University of Victoria. She enjoys healthy eating, working out, and meeting new people. When not writing for HC, she volunteers in another student-run organization called AIESEC. She is obsessed with sharing laughters, sending positive vibes, and consuming Matcha green tea.
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.