Daniele Goulet and Yas Sadain: Health Promotion Workers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Meet our campus celebrities Daniele Goulet (left) and Yas Sadain (right), two passionate hardworking young ladies. Daniele is a third year Child and Youth Care student who loves photography and hip hop dance. Yas is a fourth year Science and Psychology major who loves the outdoors and cooking. Though they have different hobbies, they share a passion for raising cancer awareness through the UVic Youth Against Cancer club.

The UVic Youth Against Cancer club’s main focus is increasing awareness. Its members are dedicated to promoting prevention strategies. Yas, current co-president, decided to join the club once she realized the possibilities available within. She was aware of the club’s ability to change so many lives and says that 50% of all cancers are preventable. As a recent member of the club, Daniele admits that she was naïve about how easy it is to get checked and the different prevention techniques until her mother recently underwent treatment for breast cancer.

Daniele’s mom was treated at the Vancouver Island Centre. She had a lump removed and during her three weeks of radiation enjoyed the meditation program available to her. It brought Daniele a lot of comfort knowing that her mother was not only being treated but was able to participate in an activity that she enjoyed. Raising money for programs like the one that her mom was a part of is the main goal of the fundraiser that Daniele has been spearheading. All proceeds from the talent night the UVic Youth Against Cancer club is hosting will go to the Vancouver Island Centre to support the continuation of their programs for patients. Yas has witnessed firsthand the impact cancer has on the patient and the family. She is aware of the effects that cancer has on one’s emotional well-being and strives to provide students with coping mechanisms.

The talent night promises to be an entertaining and educational night. When planning the event, Daniele really wanted to make sure that students did not feel pressured. Her goal for the event, apart from fundraising for the Vancouver Island Centre, is for students to learn more about cancer in a non-judgemental and relaxed environment.  She hopes to educate others about how often cancer occurs and to inform students about the different types of support available to not only patients but their families as well. At the talent night, there will live performances by local artists, a speaker, information about prevention methods and a catered meal. Students who attend will also have the opportunity to win some door prizes. The talent night is sure to be informative and fun!

If you’ve ever wanted to learn more about prevention strategies or purely want to get involved in a cancer awareness initiative, UVic Youth Against Cancer is the club to join. Daniele chose to join the club because of the personal connection she had with cancer and knows that “as cliché as [this saying] is, one person can make a difference”. Yas would encourage anyone who is simply curious about cancer to join. The UVic Youth Against Cancer club is a flexible commitment that is focused on getting the message out there. It is possible to be a part of a club that can change so many lives.

In the future, Yas wants to continue her work with the Canadian Cancer society as well as pursuing a Master’s degree in occupational therapy. Daniele sees herself in more of a leadership and event planning role. Directing the talent night has helped her to reflect on the opportunity to apply the new skills she has picked up in her career with children and youth. These two ladies definitely have bright futures ahead of them!

To learn more about the event and to snag some tickets, click here

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.