This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Everyone has habits they want to incorporate into their lives, but it can be hard to get started. Even when you make the choice to start building a new habit, keeping to it can prove to be challenging. Here are a few handy tips to help you get started in your habit-building journey (plus a few habits to try incorporating!).

Start with small habits and then build.

It can be tempting to jump right into a lengthy new gym routine, but starting off with any large commitments can make it challenging to keep them. It’s best to start small, even just one set of pushups can work if you aren’t used to exercising regularly. Then, build up gradually until you can expand your commitment to something more involved. You’ll be more likely to stick to it because you’ve already built that first habit.

Tie it to an existing habit.

Going off of the last point, it’s much easier to add a new habit to a pre-existing routine. Mornings are the perfect time to do this because many people already have a set routine. Adding a 5-minute meditation after your morning coffee, for example, is a great way to add on to part of your day that is already ingrained. 

Daily habits are key.

It can take a long time to build a habit, regardless of how simple it may be. Practising your task each day is an important step. The more often you do it, the faster it will become a habit. And don’t be discouraged if it takes longer than you expected, these things don’t happen overnight. If you stick with it I promise the results will come.

Rewards!

Building habits is hard work, and it deserves to be rewarded. Sometimes just knowing that the reward awaits you is enough to motivate you to follow through on your habit. If you want to go on a walk every day, buy yourself a coffee before you go. If you want to start going to the gym, treat yourself to some chocolate afterwards. Whatever motivates you to get out there and start building healthy habits!

To finish off, here are a few habits you can try implementing today: 

Daily reading (even just 10 minutes before bed), practicing positive affirmations, journaling, flossing (!), making your bed, meditating, eating breakfast, and taking small walks outside.

This is in no way a definitive rulebook for healthy habit building. Everyone is different and building a habit is a personal task that can’t be dictated by anyone else. I only hope these tips will help guide you on your habit-building journey and make room for a little more positive growth in your life!

Sierra is a third-year student at UVic, studying philosophy, sociology and all things human. When she's not studying, she loves finding new spots to eat, spending time outdoors, watching crime dramas and roaming the aisles of used bookstores.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.