6 Reasons to Get Your Flu Shot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Well, everybody, it looks like we’ve finally hit that time of year again. People are coughing into the wind, midterms and assignments are piling up, the air is getting chillier. And with that winter wind, we are met with an annual nightmare: the flu.

Although common, getting your flu shot annually should absolutely be a part of any health-care regimen. Logistically, getting the flu is a nightmare; you have to take the time to get better, but it’s difficult to miss school or schedule time off from work, especially with the holidays approaching. So, if you’d rather be safe than sorry, ideally, you should get your flu shot. But not everyone does. This is usually for a variety of reasons, anywhere from lacking time to not understanding the virus. It is just the flu, after all.

However, I’ve compiled a small list of reasons why you should absolutely get the annual flu shot.

1. The flu shot lowers your risk of getting the flu

One of the most important reasons for getting your flu shot is that you’re at a lower risk for contracting the flu. It’s also something that’s extremely helpful for younger children, older adults, and individuals who are immunocompromised. Even the seasonal flu can still lead to life-threatening complications, and the vaccine has been proven to help these individuals especially1.

2. A flu shot will lessen the severity of the flu if you do contract it

Recent studies2 have shown that, even if you do end up contracting the flu after receiving the vaccine, you’re less likely to suffer from severe symptoms or complications. While relatively common, the strains of influenza that cause the seasonal flu can still cause life-threatening complications in children and adults alike. Ensuring that you receive the annual vaccination will lower your chances of being hospitalized.

Complications can range from anything as mild as ear and sinus infections to pneumonia or even sepsis3.

3. Influenza still kills a whole whack of people

The CDC estimates that, during the 2017–2018 flu season, 79,400 people in the United States died from the flu4. In Canada, influenza (and pneumonia) are still among the top 10 leading causes of death, with a combined 6,235 deaths in 2016 alone5.

4. Herd immunity

Herd immunity is important because it protects people who can’t actually get the shot. Children aren’t recommended to receive the shot until after six months of age6, and some people are allergic to the ingredients in the vaccines (my Nan is allergic to eggs and can’t receive many vaccines because of this). Other people, like young children, the elderly, and immunocompromised individuals are also more at risk for contracting the flu, and from suffering from complications. Herd immunity offers them extra protection, even after they’ve received their own shot.

5. The virus mutates

Seasonal influenza is a disease that changes relatively rapidly, sometimes mutating within a single flu season. Even if you got your shot last year, you should make an effort to try and get another shot each year to prevent the current year’s most virulent strain from affecting you.

Sources for more information:

Some resources for receiving your flu shot:

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6

Ria Boldt

U Vic '20

Ria is a slightly confused fourth year at the University of Victoria, with a major in tea drinking and a minor in freelance superhero-ing. When not busy she can usually be found reading, eating, or re-watching all of the Star Wars movies.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison