5 Ways to Make Your New Suite Look Bomb AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Do you ever find yourself wishing you had the interior design skills to match the fabulous apartments and cozy suites you’ve seen all over Tumblr and Instagram?

Ever wonder how your mood and productivity levels could increase if your personal space looked clean, organized, and overall attractive?

Now that you’re no longer living in a dorm and have had to buy your own furniture, there’s probably been no time/money left to focus on the non-essential items that, let’s face it, are pretty essential for creating an aesthetically appealing living space. So without further ado, here are a few low-key ways you can spruce up your new apartment/suite over time, and without breaking the bank:

1. Succulents

There’s a reason these adorable, thorny plants are all the rage right now. Not only are they very low maintenance (you only have to water them about once every two weeks), but they are also relatively inexpensive and can come in several different colours! Plop one of these on your work desk/coffee table, line them up on your windowsill, or hang one from that random hook in the ceiling, to add some freshness to any room.

Don’t have time to grab them from the market? This website delivers succulents, air plants, terrariums and more, straight to your doorstep!

2. Posters

This one’s an obvious go-to for any student looking to personalize their space – you probably have a few favourites of your own already! The problem with posters is how easy it is to over- or under-do it: too many can make a room look cluttered and claustrophobic, while too few can look scattered and lazy. The perfect balance depends on the size and wall-space of the room in question.

For common living spaces (like the kitchen and living room) a classic Banksy-print can never go wrong. And posters like this one can provide a colour-pop and brighten up any space without being too noisy. But at the end of the day, posters are a great way to express your individuality and showcase your interests, so pick what you like and have fun with it!

3. Wall Decals

For most university students who are renting apartments or suites, painting or nailing anything to the walls goes against the terms of their lease. But some walls are just too big for posters, and too blank to be left alone.

For such dire situations, removable wall decals are the perfect solution! These decorations can be as artsy or as minimalist as you like, and are often less expensive than posters. It can be anything, from a quote, to glow-in-the-dark stars, or – my personal favourite – a map of the world.

4. Candles

The presence of fire can often comfort the soul and clear one’s mind, which is why we crave things like bonfires and crackling fireplaces. Lighting candles around the house (very carefully, and if your building’s regulations permit it) can achieve the same gentle, soothing effect.

Scented candles can be a delightful treat to the eyes and nose alike. But they can get pretty expensive – and not everyone likes strong scents. For a more regular decorational use, pick up a handful of candlesticks, or small tins of candles from your local market, and turn your living room/bathroom into something out of a Disney movie. Just remember to blow them out before heading to bed!

5. Washi tape

These ridiculously versatile rolls of removable tape give you full creative freedom over how you want to decorate your space! The solid color washi tapes can be used to create patterns on anything from boring old doors to thick white candlesticks.

Feeling more flamboyant? Embellish your posters, or make your furniture stand out with these magical glitter/metallic rolls. And these fresh, lightly patterned tapes would be perfect for some charming kitchenware decorating!

What do you and your roommates do to brighten up your living space? Tell us your ideas in the comments below!

Sources: 1/2

Brishti is a third year student at the University at Victoria majoring in History and minoring in Economics. In her spare time, she likes to read, write, play D&D, and pet every dog she meets! She belongs to several different fandoms, including (but not limited to) Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Gilmore Girls and Supernatural. Her current favourite book is Haruki Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood', and she aspires to be an investigative journalist someday.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison