This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

We’re three weeks into the semester, and if you’re anything like me, you’re feeling a little bit overwhelmed by all the readings and looming assignments. You could probably use a break, and one of my tried-and-true procrastination methods is the video essay. You’ll feel productive and be entertained! What more could you want?

Drew Gooden – “The Death of Laugh Tracks

Drew’s mostly known for his commentary videos and that one vine, but his forays into the video essay format have been just as entertaining as the rest of his work.

Jack Saint – “Violence is Funny: A Re-Evaluation of Cop Media

This timely video explores the copaganda (police propaganda) that is ingrained in our society. It’s also a good place to start reevaluating the media you consume!

Sarah Z – “The Musical Episode

The phenomenon of the musical episode in television is one that has been cropping up for decades. What makes a musical episode good? Why are so many of them cringy and bad?

Big Joel – “Shark Tale: The Trash Era of Dreamworks

Joel’s videos run on the shorter side, but boy does he have an endless catalogue of them to explore. This one is the first in a series that looks at the DreamWorks movies from our childhoods that were absolutely terrible, yet extremely memorable.

Lindsay Ellis – “The Hobbit: A Long-Expected Autopsy

No video essay recommendation list is complete without Lindsay Ellis. In this video series, you’ll learn all about the long and frustrating production of The Hobbit movies and why they don’t quite live up to the standard set by the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Once you’ve exhausted this list, make sure to check out our previous video essay recommendations, or check out the videos on our YouTube channel!

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.