This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.
Mid term season is a stressful time. From studying for midterms, to writing them, to the dreaded receiving of your mark; midterms just aren’t very pleasant. Finding comfort in food, isn’t necessarily the healthiest thing to do but it sure is the tastiest. If you are like me and sometimes need that triple chocolate cupcake to get you through the day; here are five awesome 
comfort foods to get you through midterms.

1. Mac and Cheese
While mac and cheese sometimes gets a bad rap as the stereotypical university diet it is probably the ultimate comfort food. It combines all the best food groups: cheese, butter, and noodles. How much more comforting could it get? It’s also great because you can add different things to it like veggies or bacon. This recipe is a fancier and slightly more complicated version of the classic, but is well worth it. However elbow macaroni with a cheese sauce, or even good old KD will provide sufficient comfort.

2. Soup
Soup is probably one of my favourite things to make. It is really easy to prepare and always makes me feel better. Soup is also great because you can make it out of whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. Just chop them up and sauté them for a bit until they have softened then add chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. You can also add the veggies to a chicken noodle soup package. If you do need a soup recipe to follow, this potato cheddar soup  makes the perfect post midterm meal.

3. Nutella on toast 

Simple, I know, but oh so delicious.Eating Nutella straight out of the tub is ok too. Bonus: This treat is easily made in a dorm room too. Brew yourself a cup of you favourite tea to go along with it and you have a wonderfully comforting snack.
Photo Source: Flickr

4. Pancakes
Pancakes are literally my favourite breakfast food…actually favourite food period. Although pre-made pancake mixes have improved, nothing beats homemade buttermilk pancakes. Try this recipe from Gwyneth Paltro. The instructions say to make it ahead and let it sit over night but that’s not necessary.The recipe makes a giant batch of pancakes, so you can either cut it back, or have a pancake party to celebrate the end of midterms. Don’t forget the maple syrup!

5. Triple chocolate cupcakes

Remember the triple chocolate cupcake I mentioned? Well here is the recipe! This is hands down my favourite cupcake recipe. It uses oil instead of butter, which is really nice if you don’t have an electric mixer to cream butter with. It also makes a large batch of cupcakes, so you can freeze some of them if you want, or make some of the batter into cupcakes and the rest into cake. The icing does use butter, so if you don’t have an electric mixer or just don’t feel like hauling it out, you can make what I call “cheater icing” by putting some chocolate on top of the cupcakes just as you pull them out of the oven. No matter which way you decide to make these they give a full blown sense of satisfaction and comfort in every bite.

Go ahead. Eat your heart out!
Kate is a linguistics major at the University of Victoria. Although she is only 22 years old, Kate is truly a granny at heart. She could not imagine a world in which sweaters, dogs, coffee, and brunch did not exist. In her spare time Kate likes to create inspirational quotes to live by. Her quote of the moment is "Life is a party and I have the streamers!"
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.