nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Careers for Your Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Lately, I’ve been experiencing a bit of an identity crisis. I’m currently pursuing a major in writing and a minor in computer science, and I feel like I’m being pulled in two different directions. I have no idea what kind of job I’m going to get when I graduate. I tell myself I might go into technical writing, but I’m not entirely sure about the scope of the field yet, or a trajectory toward a career as a technical writer. This is what I tell myself as I stay up late programming and banging out short stories the night before they’re due, anyway. But what about those without even the vaguest sense of what to do with their lives? No fear: HC has you covered with five cool careers you could pursue.

Technical Writer

What better place to start than with my supposed future career path? A technical writer is someone who makes technical information simple and easy for readers to understand. Technical writers produce works such as employee handbooks, brochures, newsletters, white papers, and product descriptions, among many other kinds of writing. A technical writer needs to have a strong grasp of grammar, syntax and word choice, so as to make writing as clear as possible. Usually, a technical writer will have some knowledge of a field like computer science, engineering, or web design. The provincial median salary for a technical writer is $42,969. A technical writer will either have a degree in a technical specialty, or in something like English or communications.

Web Developer

A web developer is someone who designs and creates a website to fit the needs of clients, usually with the help of a team of professionals such as programmers, graphic artists, and writers. A web developer can be self-employed or work for businesses such as consulting and software development firms. To be successful as a web developer, one must have excellent technical and communication skills in order to understand and properly implement  clients’ visions for their websites. Web development requires knowledge of software such as Dreamweaver and programming languages such as Python and Ruby. According to WorkBC, the provincial median salary for a web developer is $45,883 per year. Web developers usually have a degree in web design, computer science, graphic arts, or business.

Social Worker

A social worker is someone who assesses the social needs of individuals, families, and couples in order to determine what governmental resources they may require, such as therapy, legal aid, and housing. A social worker sometimes acts as a counsellor to help clients resolve past trauma like child abuse or neglect. Social workers advocate for the community by lobbying for solutions to problems such as drug addiction and teenage pregnancy. They design prevention and intervention programs to halt such issues in their tracks and make the community happier, healthier, and safer for all. WorkBC lists $63,611 as the provincial median salary for social workers. In the province of British Columbia, a master’s degree in social work is required.

Geoscientist

Geoscientists include earth scientists such as geologists, geochemists, and geophysicists. Geoscientists explore and study the earth to better understand its structure and the effect that humans have on it. Geoscientists often find employment in the mining industry, assessing potential extraction sites and determining the impact of development on surrounding areas. Surveys and studies are a large part of a geoscientist’s job: conducting field studies of drill sites, assessing test results, and analyzing samples are all in a day for a geoscientist. WorkBC says that $93,581 is the provincial median salary for a geoscientist. A bachelor’s degree in environmental geoscience, geology, geophysics, or geochemistry is required. For some positions, a master’s degree or PhD is also necessary.

Librarian

Librarians work in public, university, school, and special libraries. They work directly with the public, designing programs and resources for community members such as seniors, children, and at-risk youth, and helping patrons find library materials like books, DVDs, maps, microfiche, and genealogical records. It is useful for a librarian to have good communication, interpersonal, and computer skills. These qualities make librarians qualified to work as research and information officers for businesses and organizations other than libraries. According to WorkBC, the provincial median salary for a librarian is $57,291. A master’s degree in library science is required.

Originally from Surrey, British Columbia, Arianna Cheveldave is a fourth-year student at the University of Victoria. As a writing major with a professional communication minor, Arianna is proud to be the managing editor of Her Campus at UVic. She loves Italian food, national flags, and having a clean desk. When not locked in her room studying, she enjoys choral singing, watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and reading things that aren't textbooks. Depending on the occasion, she is known to always have ready a quick remark, a listening ear, or a bad pun.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison