4 Signs You Need to Take Better Care of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s funny how humans are so quick to point out the flaws in others but not in themselves. I recently realized that though I think I’m great in a lot of ways, I still have a lot of growing to do. Coming to realize that I wasn’t taking the best care of myself was scary but allowed me to make better decisions. It might be time to make a change if…

1. You feel tense all the time.

If you find that the only time your bones and mind truly feel relaxed is when your head hits your pillow, that’s a signal that there is something missing in your self care routine. I often catch myself with a clenched jaw, closed fists or scrunched up shoulders when I am focusing on something stressful or deep in thought. This is not a regular muscle workout; giving your body a break is great for your mental health. If you find yourself feeling tense, take a couple of moments to focus on your breath and feel every inch of your body slowly loosen up.

2. You worry all the time.

You may find that you are constantly focused on the past or the future. Give your mind a break. Dwelling on the part doesn’t change anything and neither does obsessing over the future. You only have one now and you might as well take it day by day. It is, of course, important to be reflective and plan a little for the future but be mindful about whether it’s taking away from your present.

3. You can’t spend time alone.

…yet at the same time you don’t always want to be around people. It’s a difficult situation to be in but being honest with yourself is the best way to figure out exactly what you need. Have you been pouring yourself into work so much that you haven’t had time to do anything social in a while? It might be time to schedule fun with friends. Alternatively, you may find that you’ve been trying to squish everything in: school, friends, volunteering, your relationship and you haven’t had time to just be.

4. You block out things you don’t want to deal with.

It’s easy to want to block out everything especially when it seems like it’s impossible to face. If you’re avoiding checking your emails or text messages because the thought of having to deal with what you find seems overwhelming, it’s time to confront your fears! This doesn’t mean you have to go it on your own. Part of taking care of yourself is asking for help!

If you find that you are dealing with these struggles daily, take a pause. Ask for help, go for a walk, write in a journal. Do whatever you need to clear your head and recharge. Best of luck collegiettes!

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison