This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

I’m officially 18! I can vote! I can drink (in some provinces)! Spending 18 years on this earth has taught me some valuable lessons, brought me new, exciting experiences and sent me on different adventures. Since I am now legally an “adult,” I feel like I should share some of my newfound adult wisdom with the world. Without further ado, here are 18 things that I learned after 18 years.

Be grateful for the little things.

2020 took a lot of things away from me. Some of them were things that I was looking forward to; some, though, I didn’t mind missing out on. Spending more time indoors during a province-wide lockdown made me realize just how grateful I am for things that, only a few months before, I wouldn’t have thought about twice. So with that said, call your grandparents, make time to read that book, Doordash those yam fries and be grateful for the little things.

Feed your soul.

Taking care of your soul is just like when you only feed your body junk food. Yeah, it tastes good, but if it’s your only source of nourishment, you’re not going to feel so hot. Make sure you find a healthy balance with the things your soul consumes. If you spent three days binging Too Hot to Handle on Netflix, maybe you could spend the next day reading some poems that speak to you or spending some time painting. It’s all about balance, baby.

There is no definite guide to what self-care should be.

I know that, when people think of “self-care,” they assume it has to be bubble baths, face masks and yoga. I say find what speaks to you. There are so many ways to ground yourself and relax, be it going to a party (AFTER COVID-19), going on a long drive with a friend, or reorganizing your makeup drawers.

It’s okay to cringe at your old self.

As much as I encourage you to not open Pandora’s box and read old text messages with ex crushes or boyfriends or whatever, sometimes you can’t help yourself. Just remember that it is okay to physically cringe and want to throw your phone out the window because how did you ever thinking acting like that or sending that or doing that was okay?! Because it is okay. Being able to cringe at your old self shows personal growth. We were all 15 once.

Live in the moment.

Easier said than done, I know, but stop overthinking every little thing. Step away from that 10-year plan once in a while and give yourself some room to make mistakes. Try new things, take risks (not with COVID, though!) and learn through experience. You only get to live this life once.

Think quality over quantity.

When it comes to friendships, having a few ride-or-die best friends is always better than having tons of superficial ones.

TikTok addiction is real.

Pre-quarantine-me had no idea who Bryce Hall, Noah Beck or Griffin Johnson were. Now I know all the lyrics to Larray’s “Cancelled,” understand what Saddle Ranch is (it’s a restaurant) and know how to do most of Charli Demelio’s TikTok dances. 

P.S. I miss the #FREEADAM/fairy comments/Martha speaks TikTok era.

Everything happens for a reason.

It just does. Go with the flow. Take it easy.

Take an AP course in high school.

It’s weird to think that, just a few months ago, I was getting ready to write my first AP exam. If you are in high school and your school offers them, sign up as soon as possible. A score of 4 (out of a possible 5)  on my AP English Literature exam gave me enough credits for two university courses.

Tell people you love them.

Say it with me: “I love you.” Remind people you love them. you, your friends, your SO and your family all deserve to hear it.

Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you are “too young” to understand.

I don’t think I’ll grow up and suddenly become conservative. Sorry!

Lululemon’s Align leggings are worth the money.

They were made in heaven. Coughing up 98$ will get you the softest, cutest and most magical leggings of all time (seriously, they give everyone an instant butt lift). Lululemon deserves all the money for these. (But please, stop coming out with such cute colours; my bank account can’t take it anymore.)

Find workouts that you love.

Hot Pilates, dance, rock climbing, surfing… Exercise doesn’t have to involve lifting weights and running laps. You will be so much more inclined to stick with a workout that you genuinely like. I despise running 8ks, but I love going to a Hot Core Fusion class at my local hot yoga studio. The best part? Both workouts burn the same amount of calories!

Being in theatre will pay off.

Follow your hobbies because they will lead to some scholarship cash. Cha-ching!

The Office is a great TV show.

I don’t care if you think the American version of The Office pales in comparison to the British one or that your humour is far too advanced for it. That show is funny as heck. Get over yourself and admit you like it. By the way, “Dinner Party” (season 4, episode 13) is my favourite episode.

Some people just won’t like you.

Do you like everyone you meet? Remember, you can’t and won’t please everyone.  What you can do is shift your focus to those who love and support you.

Wear your retainer…

…even if it’s just twice a week. Your parents didn’t cough up all that money for you to “forget” to wear it for a month.

You have come so far (and still have so far to go).

In the grand scheme of things, 18 years isn’t that long. Even so, 18 years on this earth feels like a long time to me. I’ve done a lot already, but I’m ready to keep adventuring wherever life takes me. So, with that said, be proud of yourself. Work hard in school. Jam to ABBA in the car. Take your friends out for sushi. Cry at the movie theatre. Ask them out. Wear blue mascara. Have that second shot of espresso. Live your life fully and never stop exploring.

Those were 18 things I have learned in 18 years. Here’s to many more!

Alison is a third-year student at the University of Victoria pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature with a minor in Professional Communication. When she isn't planning her next big article you can find Ali in the dance studio, catching a wave in Tofino, browsing the Aritzia clearance rack, or crafting the perfect oat milk latte.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.