This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Deciding on a university can be hard, especially if you’re from B.C. where there are so many options. For this reason, the University of Victoria and Simon Fraser University are often compared. Which is why we decided to colaborate with our sister chapter, HC at SFU, to help you decide between the two. You can read all the reasons you should go to SFU here, or keep reading to find out more about UVic!

1. The Campus

UVic’s campus is absolutely beautiful! It’s small enough to walk from one end to the other in only ten minutes, and it’s full of trees, gardens, and lovely architecture. It’s only a fifteen minute walk from a beach, and is close enough to the downtown area without being too busy.

2. University Ranking

Macleans has ranked UVic the third best comprehansive school and the sixteenth best reputation, and the mixing of three major ranking platforms found UVic to be the fourteenth overall top school in the country.

3. The City

From the old buildings and history of the city to the exciting nightlife, Victoria is such a fun place to live. Known as the ‘City of Gardens,’ there is always something to do, and only about a twenty minute drive from the UVic campus. There are museums, restaurants, and plenty of outdoor activities. Living by the ocean is always fun, and can even be good for your health. It’s busy enough that you get the feel of a big city, without being as big and hectic as Vancouver. 

4. The Food

Victoria is full of incredible restaurants! Over a dozen have been on the Food Network’s You Gotta Eat Here. With a ton of independant restaurants and a whole lot of seafood options, there’s a lot to pick from.

5. The Size

With only about 20,000 students, UVic is significantly smaller than SFU. So if you’re looking for a smaller university, it might be right for you. It makes for easier networking, smaller classes, and a really tight community.

6. Outdoor Activities

There are hundreds of fun trails to walk, mountains to hike, and places to explore. You don’t have to go very far to try your hand at spelunking, paddleboarding, or surfing. National Geographic even recognized Vancouver Island as one of the best cold-water diving locations in the world. 

7. New Gym

CARSA, a huge gym complex with weight rooms, classes and basketball and squash courts, just opened last year. It’s brand new and up to date, and a great place to work out! 

8. The Community

Famously habited by only retirees and students, Victoria is a great place to meet people. Wherever you go, on and off campus, there will almost always be a 20-something student there for you to hang out with. The smaller campus, both in size and population, makes it easier for you to make friends.

9. Transportation

It’s super easy to live and study in Victoria without owning a car. The transit system, which you pay for in your tuition, goes just about everywhere around the city. Victoria is the cycling capital of Canada, and there are plenty of bike lanes on the roads, and of course the Galloping Goose Regional Trail, a 55 km trails that runs from downtown Victoria all the way to Leechtown. 

10. Acceptance

Victoria was named one of the top 15 friendliest cities in the world by MSN Travel. With gender neutral bathrooms, a big LGBT+ club and a 4/20 club, Victoria is nutoriously liberal, often steroetyped as a ‘hippie’ city. 

11. The Weather

All you need to know is that it rains less. If you’re from the mainland like me, that means a lot.

12. The History

Victoria is the capital of our province. There are dozens of interesting old buildings, and we even have the second oldest Chinatown in North America. St. Ann’s Schoolhouse found just beside the Royal BC Museumn, is the third oldest building in BC. Even the BC Legislature looks like a castle in the middle of the city.

13. Environmentally Friendly

UVic is constantly encouraging sustainability, and is aiming to be the greenest campus in the country. You can read all about their plans here

14. The Space

If you’re from the mainland like a lot of UVic students are, Victoria is the perfect place to live. It’s far enough away from home that you get to live independantly, but not so far that you can’t go home for a weekend when you’re feeling stressed out. 

15. The Wildlife

While people who have been in Victoria for a long time might not agree that this is a good thing, there are deer everywhere. There are tons of seals in the harbour, especially at Fisherman’s Wharf, and while they took the bunnies away a little while ago, we think they might be coming back.

16. The Night Life

There are plenty of bars and clubs within walking distance from each other downtown. And because Victoria is basically populated by students, they’re almost entirely full of young people that are close to your age!

Sources 1/2/3/4/5/6

This article was compiled by the Her Campus at UVic team or published anonymously by one of our writers or a UVic student. If you'd like to submit an article you can contact us at u-vic@hercampus.com.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison