12 Things Every Girl Needs to Carry in Her Backpack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

School is back in session, and that means you’ve been carrying around a fifteen pound bag of some sort all week. You know the essentials by now: laptop/notebook, pens, your wallet, and keys. But you may be forgetting a few things that will make your time on campus easier. If you’re an over packer like me, you probably carry everything on this list with you already, but if you’re not, here are twelve things you should consider packing into your school bag.

1. iClicker

This is mostly for first year students, but if your class requires an iClicker, make sure you pack it in your bag! My advice: never take it out of your bag. The few times I did, I forgot all about it and missed out on easy marks in class.

2. Pads/Tampons

Because whether or not you’re on your period, someone else around you probably is.

3. Umbrella

You’ve probably learned the hard way that the weather here is pretty unpredictable. Here’s your reminder.

4. Sunglasses

Speaking of unpredictable weather, it can be rainy one minute and sunny the next. One of my least favourite things just so happens to be walking around campus squinting.

5. Tissues

Sometimes in school, you cry. Other times, you spill coffee on your desk. Everyday brings a new challenge. Bring a small pack of tissues with you and you’ll be glad you did.

6. Earbuds

Whether you’ve had a long day and need to tune out or just want to relax on the bus, these are a go-to.

7. Hand Sanitizer

For when the bathrooms run out of soap.

8. Breath mints

Necessary after any and all garlic-filled lunches.

9. Lip balm

When it’s -3, your lips will thank you for that much needed moisture.

10. Advil / Tylenol

The perfect remedy after a three hour lecture.

Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below!

Born and raised in Victoria, British Columbia, Emily Mall is currently in her fourth year at the University of Victoria pursuing an undergraduate degree in Art History + Visual Studies with a minor in Film Studies. In her free time, she can be found sending memes to her friends, playing with her two tabby cats, or sipping a chai tea latte. Emily previously served as the Social Media Director for HerCampus UVic.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison