alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

12 Activities for a Money-Free Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s the weekend! Congratulations, you did it! You made it through another tough week of school, work, and a little more school. We all love weekends, but the downside to two days of freedom is that it can really take a toll on your bank account. But, having fun and free time doesn’t have to mean spending money. While going out for dinner, seeing a show, or renting a movie are all great things, there are a bunch of activities that cost $0 that can still make your weekend a fun, well-deserved break. Even if you still end up spending a few dollars here and there, you can still save a lot by coming up with some alternatives to the entertainment you usually count on.

1. Free events downtown

It’s always worth it to check out the Downtown Victoria Events Calendar. You can filter your results by category and find something that really interests you. There’s a lot more going on in this city than you’d think!

2. Start a book club or discussion group

School can be overwhelming sometimes, but learning and growing is still an important and rewarding experience. Take away the stress of assignments and school and start a discussion group with your friends. This is a great way to open yourself up to new knowledge from people in different faculties, without having to worry about a final exam.

3. Organize your crap

Marie Kondo is popular for a reason. It can be so rewarding to get rid of stuff that has just become clutter. If it’s in good enough condition, you can sell old clothes and furniture. Or, better yet, box it up and donate it to a thrift store!

4. Find a new podcast

Podcasts are an awesome form of entertainment because they are free and there are endless options you can choose from. You can even multitask while you listen! Check out our article on some podcasts you should be listening to. Her Campus at UVic even has its own podcast!

5. Watch a movie on Kanopy/NFB

Did you know that being a UVic student gets you access to free movies? Paying for countless streaming services can add up, but through sites like Kanopy and the National FIlm Board (accessed through UVic Library Databases), you can see your tuition dollars hard at work, providing you with awesome content!

6. Have a photo night with friends

The best thing about going on trips is the memories, and even better is when you can share those memories with other people. Why not get together with a group of friends and take a chance to share stories and photos from your trips and adventures?

7. Teach yourself something new from YouTube

With 300 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute, there’s bound to be a new skill to interest you. Whether you want to master knitting, understand more about academic subjects, or if you’re not too picky, take some *free* time and learn something new!

8. Get a book or movie from the library (virtually, too!)

Reading books is awesome, but buying books can get expensive. You can bus down to any local GVPL library, or use their CloudLibrary app to read on your phone. The library is also a great place to borrow a movie, free of charge.

9. Make a new meal

Groceries can cost a lot, but you might already have all the ingredients you need for a new recipe. Supercook is an awesome website that finds meal ideas based on the ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Another great way to make meals for cheap is to dumpster dive! It may sound a little icky at first, but it’s a great way to not only combat food waste, but also save on your grocery bill. Check out the Community Cabbage for some dumpster diving tips!

10. Do all those things around the house you’ve been meaning to do for ages

That light bulb needs changing, those bottles can be returned for deposits, I’ve never dusted these shelves before, and I guess I should probably wash the windows once in a while . . .

11. Have a photoshoot

Let’s be honest—that profile picture could use an update. You don’t even need to have professional equipment to get some good pics, but if you want, you can borrow photography equipment from the UVic library with your OneCard. There are lots of really photogenic places around Victoria that will totally brighten up your Insta feed. Check out the flowers and animals at Beacon Hill Park, or pose in front of the artsy walls at Hotel Zed!

12. Make a doable bucket list

Yes, a lot of us probably want to travel the world at some point, but there are a lot of bucket-list-worthy things to do that don’t involve so much planning and time (and money!). Try making a more doable bucket list so you can realize and fulfill things you might not have realized you wanted to do. For example, you could design a T-shirt, create a blog, learn a new language, give blood (this can also be a free thing you do this weekend!), do a 10K, or any of the other endless possibilities!

Having a good time doesn’t have to mean going broke. Are there any ideas we missed? Let us know! What are you going to do next weekend?

Abby was born and raised in Victoria and loves it here on the island. She's a fourth-year (!) student studying Political Science and the Human Dimensions of Climate Change. When she's not studying, chances are you can find her playing soccer, biking, or watching The West Wing.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison