10 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Starting at Uvic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

So, you’re off to university, specifically to Uvic. You’ve read all those broad-reaching guides, and know all the basic tips, like “it’s okay to party in the first week when classes haven’t really started, but focus more on studying as the semester goes on,” “decorating your dorm room for cheap,” and other classics like “don’t sleep with annoying frat dudes because honestly it’s 2017 and why are they still a thing.” However, now that university has actually begun you’re feeling… sort of worried. It’s all good my friends, because here is the Uvic-specific guide you’ve been looking for. Or not looking for. But hey, I wrote it anyways!

1.  Nobody Really Knows what They’re Doing; That’s Totally Fine.

Honestly, all incoming freshmen are at least a little bit nervous. University is nerve wracking for so many reasons, from the sheer size of the campus, the number of people, the increased difficulty of classes, to just the general pressure of this being, y’know, a fancy school that you pay to go to in order to get a job. Nobody walks on to a university campus and knows exactly where they are going, who they’re going to be friends with, and some days, why they’re even there. It’s okay to feel clueless and a bit freaked out, everybody else feels the exact same!

2.  How to Actually Get Around Campus.

Fun story: I accidentally sat down in the wrong class three times during my first week at Uvic. While my case is a tad on the extreme side, and partially due to my ability to be absolutely clueless about my surroundings, the reality is that Uvic is a big, confusing campus. What should you do? Upload your entire class schedule into an app like google calendar, and include exact course names, times, and above all, room and building codes. Then, see if you can scout out your classrooms beforehand, just to get a feel for things. If that’s not possible, download a Uvic map, set it as your screensaver, and then take a quick look at the building plans each time you walk into a new building. Worst case scenario? You sit down in the wrong class, and only realize when the teacher starts talking, and then you awkwardly exit the room. Embarrassing? Yes. But hey, you’ll provide a little comedic relief to other stressed-out students!

3.  Escape Campus From Time to Time!

Just run around the city! Really fast! All day! Who cares!

Uvic can be it’s own little bubble, which is awesome, because it makes life super convenient. However, the rest of the city has a lot to offer as well, and it’s worth it to go explore! If you’re living on res, chances are you don’t have a car, but no worries, just download the transit app (it’s free!) and you’re good to go, or rent a zipcar if you plan on doing more heavy-duty exploring!

4.  Join the Clubs!

Like say, Hercampus! Uvic Club Day is held on Sept. 13th-14th, and is very worth checking out. Also, look at the UVSS info page on different clubs beforehand, so that you know which clubs and course unions you want to check out!

5.  We’re All Kind of Broke…

Hey, Victoria, what’s up with the ridiculously high cost of living coupled with super low minimum wage? Hey, Uvic, why do our tuitions keep on rising while services stay the exact same? College kids around the world are known for being well, “starving students,” but Victoria and Vancouver in particular currently exist in a perfect storm of bad economic conditions. The cost of living/lack of affordable housing/ low minimum wage are all frequently discussed in various forums on campus, but nonetheless, it’s hard not to feel discouraged with the lack of tangible economic change sometimes. Check out Uvic financial services for options regarding Work Study, loans, bursaries and scholarships. Better still, join groups like Retail Action Network, the Greater Victoria Housing Society, The Together Against Poverty Society, or any number of others. It’s fantastic to not constantly worry about whether to pay rent or buy food; it’s even better to help others free themselves of that burden as well.

6.  Use that Student Discount!

On a related note to the whole “trying to survive despite living in a system that encourages poverty thing” (Uplifting, I know!) is the fact that, while you may graduate thousands of dollars in debt, you can at least take joy in the little things, like getting 10% off at Bulk Barn on Wednesdays. Other discounts that come to mind include Amazon Prime being free for students for the first six months, the 20% you can get at Roots, and locally, the 10% off that Uvic students get at Pepper’s Foods, located nearby in Cadboro Bay. For a Victoria-specific list, check out this one compiled by Uvic, as well as this national list of big chains that offer student discounts.

7.  Spend the Time Learning How to Cite Sources and Format Essays.

“Trying to figure out why academics are so pretentious that they make citing a damn three word quote an ordeal.”

Whatever faculty you’re in, chances are there are some strangely-specific guidelines on how to cite things. I’m a history major, and personally speaking, this guide saved me during my first year. However, other style guides, such as MLA, APA and more can easily be found online. Start by running your sources through an app like EasyBib if you’re like me and just kinda lazy, then go over and edit in detail to make sure that you’re mistake free.

8.  Professor Styles Vary GREATLY.

Me @ profs who make the class stay five minutes late every day.

By now, you probably know to check ratemyprof before choosing classes. However, having a rough guide written by other students may not prepare you for all the little details that come with different profs. Some are incredibly pro-technology, and will require that you bring a laptop to class and check the online notes that they post. Others (especially if you’re in humanities, I’ve found) will do their best to ban technology and will preach about how handwritten notes boost memory. Some profs are flaky about office hours; others will love you for showing up. Some are super boring and will drone for what feels like hours, whereas others are witty and actually make you look forward to having class each day.

The big takeaway here? Not all professors are going to be an asset to your learning. If you find that you’re miserable after the first few classes (and it isn’t a required class that you need to do this semester,) then honestly, sometimes it’s worth it to drop the course and try it again with another prof. You can drop courses and get 100% tuition returned if you do it by Sept. 19th, 50% of tuition returned if you drop a course by Oct.10th, and, if it took the misery a while to set in but now you are both failing and freaking out, you can at least drop a course with no academic penalty if you do so by Oct. 31st.

9.  Take Advantage of Campus Resources.

I’ve written before about my personal mental health issues that really imploded during my first year, and honestly, the main thing I learned was that I should have checked out the campus counselling centre much much sooner. Honestly, if you’re having mental health issues, that should be your first and foremost priority, as getting good grades isn’t going to count for much if you’re absolutely miserable. (I’ll also note that these resources are available for folks looking to get more urgent care regarding mental health, as the clinic can sometimes take a few days to get an appointment.)

Other fantastic Uvic resources include an amazing academic help center, the Learning Commons, which I highly recommend to all first year students. The library in general has a lot of often-overlooked programs, such as this research tool, this assignment timeline calculator, and study rooms. Along with various academic resources, Uvic also offers a number of career-oriented resources as well. From career workshops, resume and job application help, career educators and more, there are lots of options to help quell that fear of leaving university and working at… a coffee shop.

Last but certainly not least as far as campus resources go, there’s the UVSS. My personal favourite is the UVSS Free Store and Food Bank, which is especially helpful for new students as it offers a variety of gently-used school supplies for FREE! Other things that are very worth checking out if you’re in need of more specifically-targeted support include the various advocacy organizations run by the UVSS, which include The Third Space Collective, Uvic Pride, Students of Colour Collective, the Society for Students with a Disability, and the Native Students Union. These advocacy groups are run for students by students, and do a particularly fantastic job of making sure that marginalized groups on campus have their voices heard.

10.  The Uvic Coffee Should Be Marketed as a Laxative.

I am a young, professional woman, who does not discuss poop on the internet for any reason whatsoever. But honestly, you’ve been warned.

Born and raised in the beautiful Victoria BC, Alexandra is currently attending the University of Victoria. Currently, she is working towards a B.A in History, with a minor in applied ethics. Alexandra is the coordinator of the UVSS Food Bank and Free Store, and volunteers for AIDS Vancouver Island, the Together Against Poverty Society, and the Students for Literacy Foundation. She is passionate about social justice, and enjoys having a job that enables her to serve as an activist for economic equality and sustainable food initiatives. Alexandra is currently a member of Girls on Boards, a G(irls)20 initiative, as well as the IMPACT! Youth Sustainability Leadership Program. Alongside her passion for activism and volunteering, Alexandra is also an avid writer, a dog lover, and a huge fan of brunch. Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexandraAges
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison