Starting Your Day Off Right – The Miracle Morning

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

After having gone through a bit of a rough patch this summer, I started the Miracle Morning as a last-ditch resort in the hopes of making myself feel better. It helped me orient myself towards my goals, tested my determination and gave me a sense of purpose every single morning. If you’d like to learn how to kick-start your day too, then keep reading.

Now, I’m usually not one to get sucked into the world of fads and trends, but the Miracle Morning is a lifestyle change that I will happily endorse. Created by Hal Elrod, it consists of six simple components that you can add to your morning to kickstart your day. The six facets are silence, affirmations, visualisation, exercise, reading and scribing.

Silence just entails being in a quiet space with no distractions, and letting yourself breathe deeply and slowly. I usually use this time to meditate using the Headspace app. I find that it’s a great way to start my day with some relaxation, and it helps to channel my focus towards the important things in life.

Affirmations are simply positive statements that help to declare the kind of person you are and what qualities you possess. I have a voice recording on my phone of me reciting my own positive affirmations, as well as some Post-Its on my mirror. It works really well for reminding yourself of your worth and focusing on your good features rather than your bad traits. It’s important to stay positive about yourself, especially when challenges arise.

Visualisation is almost the opposite to affirmations. In visualisation, you’re looking forward into the future to figure out who you’d like to become and what you’d like to achieve. I made myself a vision board with all the things that motivate me to become a better person, quotes that inspire me and statements detailing what I want in life. An easy way to visualise is to simply set a timer for a couple of minutes, close your eyes and imagine what it would feel like to be living your best life. Imagine it as if it’s really happening in the moment, and you’re already achieving all the things you want to, and as if you’re already the ideal person you want to be.

Exercise is pretty self-explanatory, but this could be as short as doing a couple of squats or as long as doing a one-hour exercise class. I usually like to do a few bodyweight exercises and then go on a walk. It’s a really good way to start your morning because it gets your blood pumping, helping you feel more energised and productive. Plus, exercise of any kind is always healthy to partake in.

Reading is also self-explanatory, but I think it’s important to read self-help books in particular. Self-help books have helped me so much in my quest to orient my life. Even if you only read as little as 2 pages a day, that’s enough to read at least 2 average-sized books in the year!

Scribing is just another word for writing. You can literally write about anything you want, but I like to write in a journal every morning and evening because I feel like it helps collect my thoughts. I like to write my train of thought, as well as things I’m proud of, things I learnt and things I’m grateful for every day. It’s also a nice way to look back and see all the highs and lows that have come and gone.

So that concludes what the Miracle Morning is and how you can implement it in your life. I hope this helps you improve the quality of your life, as well as the many other benefits I mentioned!