Snapshot: 5 U of T Buildings You Have Never Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

The University of Toronto has one big campus, as all collegiates are aware sometimes this can both good and bad. Our campus is a source of pride, since the panoramic view from the quad in front of University College is usually part of the highlight of downtown Toronto’s landscape. Not to mention, there is something to be said about the menagerie of different architectural styles that encompasses the cozy nest of one of the best academic experiences in Canada. Unfortunately, the downside of having such a variety of buildings is the fact that most collegiates finish their undergraduate studies and still haven’t been to most of the buildings on campus. I’ve certainly encountered this problem in the past, where I’ve been confused about the location of BN. To help remedy that confusion, I’ve decided to present a snapshot of some of the most incognito buildings on campus.  

1.     Teefy Hall

Once up on a time about a year ago, I had a 3rd year lecture in this building. Since the building code was not recognizable at first, I looked it up and thought: “Ok, no problem. Follow the Google map directions and you won’t get lost.” Unfortunately, that was not the case. Perhaps, it’s the fact that Teefy Hall’s entrance is literally on the side and tucked in between two buildings. And with only a piece of paper plastered on a window, barely functioning as signage. But Holy H- it’s incredibly hard to find this building unless you know what you are looking for. Thus, I ended up walking into class, 20 minutes late after casually wandering in the St. Michaels residence hall in search of this remote building. Overall, it was an awkward experience being a 3rd year student and, yet, lost on campus.

2.     The Marshall McLuhan Coach House

Speaking of the St. Michael’s campus area, here is a little cozy house that is home to some SMC seminars, and formerly where the famous Marshall McLuhan lectured. As a building behind Alumni Hall, (where I am sure many collegiates have had one class or another), the Coach House provides a different type of learning space, a more intimate environment. Although it’s not explicitly hiding in plain sight, like the other buildings that are mentioned in this list, it is definitely one of the less-known mysterious locations on campus.

3.     The FitzGerald Building

Built under the influence of the Georgian Revival style in 1925 by Mathers and Haldenby. The FizGerald Bulding is a vintage architectural gem that is often over shadowed by the fancy new medical science and pharmacy buildings surrounding it. Speaking from personal experience, this is definitely one of those buildings around campus that you need to look twice in order to find. Interestingly, the building’s namesake, John G. FitzGerald was also an under-rated physician who had some pretty nifty accomplishments, such as enabling a widespread use of the tetanus vaccine created by Gaston Ramon.

4.     North and South Borden

Which building on campus used to be part of a diary operation? North and South Borden of course, they were constructed in 1909 by architect George Martell Miller for the operations of the Borden Diary company. Sitting on the edge of the campus, it’s hard to believe that this building has such a unique history. Nowadays it’s the home of the Visual Studies’ offices, classes, and studios. North and South Borden is probably the most artsy place on campus, excluding the art center of course. If you ever wanted to sneak a peek into some of the up-and-coming contemporary art works by U of T students, then drop in to South Borden and you will find yourself standing in spacious and painted-covered studio spaces. Additionally, North Borden is also home to the First Nations House, providing support and information to students of U of T.

5.     The Haultain Building

Saving the best for last, The Haultain building is probably the most confusing, hard-to-find, and possibly terrifying building on campus. This isn’t just my opinion, but I can cite the testimonies of many students in science and engineering who has had experiences with the Haultain Buiding. Maybe it’s the fact that its main entrances are in a sketchy alley, or its just right beside some recycling and dumpster sites for the surrounding buildings. There are many things that are just off and like Teefy, the only signage for this building is barely useful at all to any students seeking to find it. However the Haultain building has definitely its place in the U of T Engineering culture. It is named after Herbert Edward Terrick Haultain, a Canadian engineer who was responsible for some of the most crucial part of the Skule experience, such as the iron ring and graduation ritual for Canadian engineers.  

Cover Image Source:

http://www.osm.utoronto.ca/

Karen Li

U Toronto

Book & Media,Visual Studies + Writing and Rhetoric. 1T6 20 something-female at the University of Toronto with a penchant for spotting the best Thai restaurant around. When she is not optimizing the perfect take-out order, she can be found writing about culture, media, and lifestyle at her blog, http://www.plasticconfetti.wordpress.com
Jina Aryaan is one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief of Her Campus UToronto. She is a fourth year student pursuing a major in Sociology, and a double minor in French and Latin American Studies at the University of Toronto. She has been working with Her Campus since her first year of University, and she is also highly involved on campus through various other leadership positions. When she's not busy studying, you can catch her running around campus to get to her next class or meeting. When she has some spare time, she's likely busy writing, discussing politics, or spending quality time with friends and family.