stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Are you a person who feels like they have too much going on in their head?  Do you need an outlet to express your thoughts and feelings? Well fear not, you can achieve clarity from the comfort of your bedroom! Confused? So am I at times, and that’s why I like to rant.

In recent times, ranting has been slapped with a bad reputation. You’ll be sitting with one of your friends and she’ll apologize, saying, “sorry I feel like I’m ranting to you too much…” Why is this? Why is your friend apologizing for sharing their thoughts with you, not only giving you a new perspective, but allowing herself to get something off her chest? For some reason, we put pressure on ourselves to internalize our discontent with the world around us. Young people especially are looked down upon when they express their feelings, and are told to “quit complaining” and to “deal with it.” This is far from the truth, as ranting can often be therapeutic and help clear your mind during times of stress.

Pictured above is comedian Rick Mercer, whose CBC television show The Mercer Report is highlighted each week by “Rick’s Rant,” in which Mercer unleashes a steam of consciousness about a specific topic onto the viewers

Coming into a university environment, whether you’re just starting your first year or coming in after a summer of work or study, there will inevitably be a million and one thoughts buzzing around your head at once.  This type of stress on your mind can be downright painful, and releasing those thoughts, either onto a page, a computer screen, or simply saying them out loud gives the thought meaning. Now that it can be physically seen or heard, you can interpret what you’re feeling and act upon that.

Your rant doesn’t have to be about anything of particular significance. Sure, you could talk for an hour about the terrifying concept of Donald Trump potentially becoming President of the United States, but you could also rant about why you like soft serve ice cream over ice cream from the grocery store. A rant can be about something huge and impactful, or just a simple little aspect of your life that bothers you, as long as it means something to you.

Don’t know how to rant? Here is an example:

Seriously, what is the difference between Coke and Pepsi? They taste the same! People identify themselves by whether they are a Coke person or a Pepsi person, and I am guilty of this behavior as well. Is Coke better? Is Pepsi better? Does that really matter, at all, whatsoever; at any point in my life am I going to come across a life or death situation where I have to tell the difference between the two? That must be the most annoying question for waiters and waitresses to ask; “oh is Pepsi alright?” They could just put some Pepsi in a glass that I think is Coke and I would never be able to tell the difference.

Because we all know they taste the same!

See? A rant doesn’t have to be about anything important, or really make sense in the long run. The stream of consciousness that comes out while ranting can lead to new discoveries and clarity.

So, intrepid ranter, don’t be afraid if you have something weighing on your shoulders – if you have something you’re burning to say, let it out!  Tell a friend about that terrible customer you had at work, and instead of thinking of it as “complaining,” see it as letting off as a much needed session of letting off steam. I promise, you’ll feel much better afterwards. 

Photo Sources: 

http://adamtheautomatorcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Ran…

http://thumbnails.cbc.ca/maven_legacy/thumbnails/275/227/RMR1113_RicksRa…

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/5c/5c07e4e4cfb1bf047c740bed2ab07f45ce5b01a2…