This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited By: Vlada Taits

It is safe to say that I have listened to music for my entire life. Of course, my taste in music has evolved with my age but I ever since I can remember, I have always made time in my day to listen to music. Especially in pandemic times when myself and others, are looking for ways to escape the current reality, I have noticed that people have chosen to listen to music as a way to relieve stress and relax and unwind. As it is clear that listening to music does benefit our mental health, I thought it would be fun for me to share some of the different playlists that I have created in order to provide some inspiration for your own listening experience. I personally create different playlists that are set for different moods as well as different time periods.

1. Nostalgia 

I don’t know about you, but the mix of being in university as well as living through a pandemic has gotten me to think about many of my past childhood memories and experiences. Most of my best memories from when I was really young were during the early 2000s when my parents and I took all American road trips. Whether we were driving down the east coast to visit my grandmother in South Carolina, or driving to Vermont for a weekend getaway, I always remember sitting in the car and listening to the same music over and over again. This is why one of my favorite playlists is called “Old Road Trip Songs” where I have selected some classic early 2000s songs such as “Hey There Delilah” by the Plain White Ts and “How to Save a Life” by the Fray to listen to whenever I want to feel nostalgic and attempt to relive those memories. 

2. TV Shows 

Sometimes when I watch TV, I stumble upon a series that always plays just the right song for the moment. At the same time, the songs they pick are songs that I had never heard before but knew that I’d want to listen to them again. This is why I have created a playlist called “favorite TV show songs” to be able to keep track of new music that I stumble upon while watching a TV series. One example of a TV series that always had strong music choices is Suits. From the slow ballads that were chosen for moments of sadness or romantic chemistry, to the fast-paced tracks that were picked for times of success, Suits never failed to impress me with their choices. 

3. Studying 

A student creating a study playlist is something extremely common, but listening to music while studying for some people can help them focus better and help them get into a good zone. For me personally, I like to listen to slower music rather than something more upbeat while I do readings for courses but of course, others can have different preferences which is why you need to test out what is right for you. When it comes to studying, you would want to find music that helps you relax but at the same time does not distract you from your current tasks. Whenever I want to find new music I will spend some time roaming around on Spotify as they will advertise new artists and songs for different scenarios. Since we are all currently studying online, it is the perfect time to find music that will fit into your at-home study vibe.

I know that making new playlists have expanded my musical horizons and made me feel even more relaxed during crazy times which is why I hope it can help you as well! With so many different genres and artists out there, you are bound to find what you like listening to best and what you are looking for in terms of music. Most importantly, listen to what makes you happiest in order to have the best experience. Happy listening! 

Zoë Grossman

U Toronto '22

Zoë is a fourth-year student majoring in Political Science and Sociology. With a huge passion for world events and culture, Zoë is excited to share her ideas and thoughts with a new audience. In her free time, you can catch her listening to music, spending time on Netflix, and at a local coffee shop.