This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Sophia Savva

If you live in Toronto, you know winter brings hot cocoa, ice-skating, and dry, flaky, ghost-like skin.

Come winter, dealing with acne is something nobody wants to take on. Add midterms and finals into the mix, and stress only further aggravates our pimple problems.

Regardless of your skin type, caring for your skin requires a whole new routine during the winter months. But fret not, my friends. I will help you choose the best acne-fighting products—on a budget!

During winter months, cold air has significantly less moisture. This cold, dry air strips your skin of its natural surface lipids, which act as barriers to hold in moisture and keep dirt and other environmental toxins out. Without that protection, bacteria can easily find a way in, leading to new zits.

So, even if you have oily skin, it is necessary that you moisturize! I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin, but I always moisturize my face every night. It’s my ritual. It’s my religion. The reason is simple: when you dry your skin, and strip away all its natural oils, your skin will produce more oil to compensate for the loss.

Here are a few quick tips to effectively take care of the breakouts.

1. Pick a gentle exfoliator
  2. Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize
  3. Use tea tree oil in your baths
  4. Use alcohol-free toners
  5. Avoid face-wipes, especially if you have sensitive skin
  6. Use active-ingredient serum for extra nourishment
  7. Use moisturizing mask once a week
  8. Make sunscreens your best friend
  9. Wash your scarves and caps regularly
  10. Stay hydrated

Now, let’s take a look at some products. When finding a product that works for you, feel free to consult with your dermatologist or buy samples before fully investing.

Products for Oily Skin

Burt’s Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream

Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleanser

Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer

Products for Dry Skin

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Aquaphor Healing Ointment

Products for Sensitive/Combination Skin

Yes To Cucumbers Daily Facial Moisturizer

The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Cream

Avleen is a recent graduate from the University of Toronto, finishing her Double Major in English, and Professional Writing and Communication with a Minor in History. She was an editor with UTM Scribes, contributor to The Medium newspaper, maintained a WordPress research blog, and has been part of the Her Campus community since 2017. Check out more of Avleen's content on her WordPress blog http://loveandthelaws.wordpress.com