nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mental Health At University: Speak Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

On the first day of one of my classes this semester, my professor insisted that the students in his class notify him as soon as they experience any personal struggles that he should be made aware of. What really stuck with me was the fact that this professor had more empathy than I ever thought any university professor would have, considering the fact that this is my second semester of my second year at university and I, along with many of my peers, have accepted that we are merely viewed as numbers, so professors don’t necessarily worry about our mental health.

It is always easy to feel that you are the only one suffering when no one really talks about it, especially at university. #BellLetsTalk opened my eyes to this issue. I have never seen such a profound response to a movement. I have read so many personal stories of people, ranging from acquaintances to good friends, who discuss their struggle to have their voice heard and their feeling of isolation and hopelessness. These stories have most certainly helped me see people through a different lens. Although, I like to think that I am quite conscious of people’s everyday problems, this movement is a testimony of how many people’s lives can go unnoticed if they choose to silent themselves and keep their stories to themselves.

In lieu to this, I wanted to share a few tips as to how university students can overcome their emotional and mental struggles:

If you think that it will be an issue in terms of your performance in the class, notify your professor as soon as possible.

It really makes a difference when you inform your professor of your personal problems and have them understand your situation. Evidently, not every university professor will think of putting forth this message of sharing your personal struggles with them. That said, if you feel that there is an issue worth bringing up to your professor, do not hesitate to do so. Your professor will understand, and will offer ways they can help you to do your best.

Give as little or as much information as you want.

Remember, when informing your professors of your personal problems, you have the control and power to speak as much or as little about your struggles as you feel comfortable with. If you don’t feel comfortable telling them your entire life story, do not feel pressured to do so. A simple one-liner, such as: “Hey, I am prone to episodes of XYZ, I figured it would be helpful to have you know about this,” might be all you need. It is your choice to give as many details as you want, and depending on your relationship with your professor, they may be able to help you even more than you’d expect. Do not stay silent out of fear or embarrassment. The false belief that mental illness is an excuse for academics should not be stigmatized. Your health should always be above everything else.

If you know the issues that you are facing, acknowledge them and work on ways to overcome them.

As someone who faces a lot of anxiety and the occasional emotional imbalances, I’ve learned through the years how to face and tackle any of these issues when it comes to studying at University. It’s taken a lot of trial and error, cutting back on coffee to inhibit panic attacks, and going to the gym for healthier ways to reduce stress, but I’ve definitely learned to overcome my issues that are primarily school and stress-induced. It’s not always simple, of course. Researching online and seeking professional help is always an option, especially if it means allowing you to manage school better.

No matter what you are going through, know that you are never alone; there is always someone that understands your pain and is experiencing the same things as you. More importantly, there is always someone available to help you, online or in person, all you need to do is reach out and speak up so you can have your voice heard.

Mental Health Services at the University of Toronto

St. George Health & Wellness Centre  | 416-978-8030

Community Safety Office  |  416-978-1485

Good 2 Talk Student Helpline  |  1-866-925-5454

Gerstein Centre Crisis Line  |  416-929-5200

Mental Health Helpline (Ontario)  |  1-866-531-2600

Architecture Design Major at the University of Toronto, Class of 2018
Jina Aryaan is one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief of Her Campus UToronto. She is a fourth year student pursuing a major in Sociology, and a double minor in French and Latin American Studies at the University of Toronto. She has been working with Her Campus since her first year of University, and she is also highly involved on campus through various other leadership positions. When she's not busy studying, you can catch her running around campus to get to her next class or meeting. When she has some spare time, she's likely busy writing, discussing politics, or spending quality time with friends and family.