alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Lets Talk About the Winter Blues…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

With snow falling, and falling fast, in Toronto, hot girl summer has officially come to an end. It’s definitely not uncommon to feel a little less excited about the weather change as well as the shorter days and longer nights that come with it. Sometimes, however, the associated sadness can become a little more intense and consuming than anticipated. The first snowfall may look pretty but Seasonal Affective Disorder is a very real thing. 

If you find yourself dealing with a case of the Winter Blues, just know that you are not alone. It is incredibly common especially among university students who have to deal with heightened anxiety that comes with the looming knowledge that finals season is approaching. Combining stress with darker days and colder temperatures, no doubt it becomes difficult to be motivated.

This change in mood can have an impact on every aspect of a student’s life from social to physical to mental. This burden on the self can become even stronger when these gloomy feelings are not discussed. So talk about it because you honestly you don’t know the difference it could make for you and the people around you!

Some people may find themselves feeling a lot more aloof than others depending on numerous environmental factors, but typically the Winter Blues are accompanied by a lack of motivation, no desire to leave your bed and feeling a lot less social. These can all be difficult slumps to get out of but here are a few tips which might make it easier to deal with winter. 

Get yourself moving

So a walk outside may not be ideal, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of fitness opportunities inside as well. Working out provides an opportunity to shift your focus and improve the overall well-being of your body as well as mind. One of the many fees students often have to pay is for a campus gym, which is something you should not hesitate to take advantage of. On the other hand, if you are more like me and prefer fitness guidance, there are plenty of classes to join too. Whether it be Zumba, spin, yoga, dance or HIIT, joining one could bring you a sense of community as well as help form a routine that you could stick to.  

Seek out light whenever possible

It’s no secret that it can get pretty dark pretty fast, so find those sunlight hours and take advantage. This could mean something like studying beside a window with the curtains open or going for a drive, blasting your favourite music as a study break. You could even get ambitious and go for a walk, although this may make things worse if you absolutely cannot stand the cold. 

Image Credit: Johanna Ljungblom​

Confide in others

As I mentioned before, there is no doubt that you are the only one feeling this stress. Turn to those you trust to talk over how you are feeling and also be willing to hear them out. You may not know how much either of you need it. Meeting up for coffee with your favourite people for a few hours has the power to change the whole course of your day. And hey, If you aren’t one for sharing feelings, talk about anything! As long as you give yourself the opportunity to communicate with others, a simple interaction can go a long way.

Make a do-to list

Sometimes things can feel a little difficult when the responsibilities and assignments are never-ending. One of the best ways to overcome this is to write everything down. This not only helps you get and stay organized but once you check something off that list you’ll feel super satisfied. Things may keep piling up, but once you make that simple X to remind yourself that you’ve made progress, it can feel a whole lot better. 

Image Credit: St. Mattox

Have a day in

At this time of year, it can definitely become difficult to leave your house, and who said you had to? Although there is plenty you could do outside, you absolutely don’t have to. I would recommend doing more with your day than just sleeping, but there are plenty of ways to spend your time besides that. Learn how to cook a new dish, curl up on the couch with a book, watch a comedy series, play board games, learn how to code… the list goes on. But I guarantee you will benefit from a study break and you don’t need to leave your house to have one.

Don’t underestimate the power of music

Whether it be a background while studying, part of your car ride or a quick dance break, never underestimate the power that music can have on your mood. Upbeat rhythms are known for increasing happiness and having great effects on the brain. Spend some time browsing pre-curated playlists on your favourite music streaming service and I’m sure you will find lots of content there to get you through the day. No matter what you decide to do to find those little joys, just know you got this!

Image Credit: Burst

Alexandra is a third year business student at the University of Toronto Scarborough. She loves spending her money on concerts and clothes that she doesn't need. She believes that life is about creating unique experiences for yourself and finding what makes you happy.