This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited By: Joy Jiang

Say good-bye to 2017’s toxicity and welcome the new year, 2018, with open arms and love. Here are a few tips to give you a head start to thinking more on the bright side: 

1. Be more grateful

Start your morning right by reflecting on what you’re grateful for. I’m grateful for the roof over my head, that I get three meals a day, I have clothes for the winter, etc. Doing this lets you have a greater appreciation for things around you. They remind you know that things aren’t so bad when you have these blessings, whether it be something as simple as having woken up to a new day to winning the lottery. Practicing the art of gratefulness helps you remember that there are indeed, good things in life amidst the chaos. 

2. Read a Self-Help/Growth Book    

This may sound like an absolute cliche. You might be thinking, “I don’t have to read a book by some life coach. It’s just cheesy, and they all say the same thing like living your life to the fullest” and yady-yady-yada. The deal with self-improvement books is that it’s about finding the right one. Finding the voices of people who connect with you and your thoughts. From experience, you may find a sentence that properly expresses what you’ve been struggling to understand. To see it on paper can be a punch in the gut, but it may be the wake up call that you need.

3. Morning Music    

Get ready for your day while listening to music that you like, songs that make you want to dance and sing your heart out, even to ballads with lyrics that really speak to you. Music is a great energizer and comfort for people. Listening to music that you enjoy will surely add a pep in your step throughout the day as you hum your tunes on the way to work or school. 

4. Journaling    

Try your hand at journaling. Bring a notebook and a pen or pencil with you anywhere. When you feel the need to, write your thoughts down. It could be anything from your goals, your weekly schedule, your insecurities, your dreams, a plot you came up with for a story, whatever it is, jot it down! Get your creative juices flowing. Journaling is especially helpful for expressing the thoughts that you struggle to say out loud. Writing down your troubles and your fears can release a lot of weight on your shoulders. As you write, you may even learn things about yourself. Erase all that negativity from your mind and put it on paper. Seeing it physically will make you more ready to tackle these barriers head on and perhaps give you the strength to be more confident in yourself.  

5. Good people    

Feed your positivity by cutting off people who simply bring negativity into your life. If you feel burdened by their companionship, constantly hurt and uncomfortable around them, it’s better to cut them off. You don’t want to be around someone who just brings you down, making you feel useless. Surround yourself with people who inspire you to work harder and bring you confidence. 

It is worth noting that trying to change your mindset into a more positive one does not have to require waiting for a new year to come. If you choose to change in order to improve yourself, you can do it at any time! 

Image 1 / Image 2

Patricia Pendon is currently a student at the University of Toronto, majoring in English. She is an avid reader and hopes to improve her writing abilities with the help of Her Campus. A curious spirit, Patricia enjoys exploring new places, especially nature and cafes. She is a part-time wallflower and a certified crybaby.