thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

BUILDING A SELF-CARE VOCABULARY DURING THE QUARANTINE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

During these difficult past few weeks, many of us have isolated ourselves and stayed within the walls of our little sanctuaries. Some of us are working at the frontlines and risking our own health to help and provide support in various industries. While we continue to stay informed and grind through our new routines, we also fall into the social media rabbit hole, go beyond our own self-imposed daily screen time or pass the day without practicing our usual self-care routine. After all, some work has shifted online and there’s nothing stopping you from waking up at 12nn, accomplishing your deadlines in your soft pajamas and aloe vera face mask and binging on Netflix till the wee hours of the morning. For others, work occupies most of our daily routines and has robbed us off the time we could spend towards personal growth and mental health. The temptation to carry on this lifestyle is so attractive and yet, it is so natural for us to sweep it under the rug and tell ourselves, “It’s okay. I’ll start tomorrow” or “Never mind what I feel. I just want to go through this right away.” Let’s face it, we’ve all been a victim of this – I, myself, am no exception to this unhealthy mantra. So, when you lose your productivity streak, you’re finding it difficult to wake up early in the morning or you’re forgetting to set time for yourself, don’t pressure yourself into compensating for it by establishing insurmountable goals or tasks. Take things one step at a time and start from there. 

Instead of showing you a long list or an overwhelming self-care map, here are the top 3 steps that I think may help you build your personal self-care vocabulary in the coming weeks of quarantine. 

1. Write your thoughts down.

journal on a table with coffee at a restaurant
Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

Pour out your emotions on paper or on any medium you feel comfortable with. If you haven’t opened your journal in a long time, now might be a great opportunity for you allot 5-10 minutes of unmediated writing before sleeping at night or after waking up in the morning. Writing has this unexplainable power to release the tensions of our minds – words can often encapsulate the unsaid feelings that hide in the deep recesses of our hearts. For my digitally-savvy readers, you can try using Day One – an online and private diary where you can chronicle your day and express your thoughts via writing or photographs. Either way, the magic of writing can drastically change your day and make you see the world differently each time.

2. Blast some tunes and let your body move 

spotify, phone, headphones, music
Fixelgraphy / Unsplash

Songs have enabled me to make worlds of my own. Listening to music can often help us express the emotions that are difficult to find words for. During this difficult time, music has been a huge part of my own personal healing and coping. It has tremendously spiced up my monotonous schedule and kick-started those lazy days in bed. I’ve been listening to a lot Eric Nam, BTS and keshi for upbeat and soothing tunes. If you’re looking for relaxing music to study to, give Chen’s “Dear my dear” album and Conan Gray’s “Kid Krow” album a listen. Hopefully, these song recommendations make you bop your head and dance your weird moves. 

3. Stretch your muscles and your mind 

Person holding book open
João Silas

This step is twofold in meaning. While we face another day head-on, don’t forget to stretch your shoulders, arms and neck. When we get too engrossed with our work, we can sometimes forget to move even just a tiny bit in a span of 30 minutes. Try holding every stretching position for at least 10 seconds or longer. My personal favourite is the cow face position since my arms are often in the same typing position when working on a laptop. Maybe moving your shoulder blades in a circular motion can relieve you of the tension that’s been bringing you down. On the other hand, when I say stretch your mind, I mean keeping it stimulated in whatever way possible. As with most recreational activities, everyone has their own preference. Read that dusty book you bought months ago, listen to that true crime podcast you’ve been meaning to listen to while doing the laundry, or maybe finish that half-painted artwork under your bed. Try to allot at least 10 minutes for creative pursuits, and I promise, it works wonders to your overall mood. 

smiling woman in pink sweater
Freshh Connection

Whether you’re a student biting your nails away to the stressful exam week, an employee working at the frontlines of your industry or a worried loved one ceaselessly calling your family back home, it’s important that you take care of your health and well-being. If you don’t know where to start or how to build a self-care language in these trying times, maybe these tips will spark inspiration or motivation for you. At the end of the day, you’re just as important. So, stay safe, take care and don’t forget to wash your hands. 

Isabela Quito Villanoy is a University of Toronto alumni who double majored in English Literature, and Book & Media studies, and minored in Women and Gender Studies. She is also the founder of an online community Instagram page called Ihayag, a community that aims to reveal and proclaim the stories of Filipino/a/x immigrants and diasporic identities, where she shares her Filipino pride. While being both a writer for Her Campus U Toronto and an Editor at the MNERVA Literary Journal, Isabela dabbles in various creative passions related to reading, drawing, music, and photography. She is currently working with various Filipino writers all over the world for an online zine called Sa Pagitan / Liminal which deals with the in-betweenness of identities. She is currently leading a small team of writers in preparation for the first self-titled issue coming out soon.