Style > Beauty

Beauty Review II: Beauty Gurus Are Using Men’s After Shave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

It’s primer – beauty bloggers all over the internet are using the Nivea Men After Shave Balm for sensitive skin as a make up primer! Isn’t that the weirdest thing you’ve ever heard? I mean, how did someone even come up with the idea to try it out as a primer? 

Whatever the origin story of this beauty fad might be, it definitely is getting some attention! One of my favourite beauty bloggers just posted on her instagram account (@iluvsarahii) saying that she loved it as a bargain beauty fix. With all this talk, I just had to try it out for myself! 

Okay, so here are the details: I bought this stuff and it ended up costing me around 8 dollars, which actually isn’t bad at all, considering that the primer I’m using right now, the Smashbox Photo Finish primer, costs around 40-50 bucks easy! Also, for 8-10 bucks, you get 100ml of product (vs. the 30ml of Smashbox primer at 40-50 bucks). Here’s a size comparison:

All in all- if it works, your girl will definitely be saving a lot more money.

To test it out, I decided to wear it for a whole day, which for me starts around 7:10a.m. and ends around 5p.m. My skin is usually dry in the morning, but I do tend to get a lot oilier as the day progresses and I usually end up heading home pretty shiny, regardless of the kind of primer I use. What I look for in a primer is usually how well it keeps my make up in place for the day (but some added qualities are a bonus!)

Here are my pro’s and con’s:

PRO’S

• It is so cheap – seriously, it’s pretty much irresistible and unheard of! For most of us, dropping 50+ bucks for a primer might do some major damage, well at least for me it does, cause you know, the student struggle!
  • It works! I don’t know about it filling in pores or keeping me matte all day, but using the after shave balm did extend the life of the make up I was wearing (well, in comparison to me not using any kind of primer at all).
  • You get a lot of product, seriously, it could last you at least a year!

CONS

• It’s consistency might throw you off- it is a bit on the watery side! Here’s a picture:

To apply it, I used a make up sponge (I usually get these at the dollar store) and just layered it on until I felt like it was a good enough amount, you definitely don’t want to just dab it onto your face like it was men’s after shave … (LOL the irony)

• The smell can be a turn off also – just like any other products that are specifically made for men, this balm also smells like it was made specifically for men. But hey, the smell does go away once you apply your foundation, so it really isn’t that bad. Seriously though, it smells like a group of bros.
  • It feels a little odd on your face at first, like a hand cream that hasn’t quite absorbed into your skin just yet. Maybe even a little sticky at first? Again, this feeling does go away once you apply foundation though!
  • It’s success is inconsistent- there are SO many people who have tried this beauty bargain and absolutely loved it, but there are also a ton of people who swear that it doesn’t work for them too! It could depend on your skin type, how much product you’ve put on, or the kind of make up you use, but results vary, so don’t just drop your precious primers just yet!

Overall Score: 2.5 / 5

From my own experience of it, using this after shave balm wasn’t a complete bust, but it wasn’t a complete success either. Although I loved the price and that it helped my make up stay on for the most part, its smell, consistency, and effectiveness can be deal breakers if you want to just rely on this product as your go-to primer. I’d say its worth a try though, maybe pick it up when it’s on sale to minimize the financial commitment.

I’ll keep using it here and there to see how it holds up after more frequent use and let you know how it’s going! Until then lovelies! 

P.S. Wishing you all the best of luck on your final exams/essays/assignments <3

Image Sources:

http://intl.target.com/p/nivea-for-men-sensitive-post-shave-balm-3-3-oz/…

http://giphy.com/gifs/confused-jersey-shore-pauly-d-RoqUltNfOhQ2Y

http://www.whiskeyriff.com/2016/01/11/10-struggles-only-people-with-blon…

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/worst-handshakes-give-your-girlf…

I'm a Shakespeare loving, eyebrow obsessing beauty junkie, who adores all things having to do with Harry Potter, delicious food, and good music. After 4 years I've finally graduated from the oh so wonderful, University of Toronto and am currently working toward a Masters of Information degree.  I'd like to think of myself as a modern day romantic with an unquenchable wanderlust. My current dream is to one day go on an international library hopping adventure! For an aspiring special collections librarian, that is definitely at the top of my list post-graduation. I am a frequent visitor of the ROM and love going see the Nutcracker during the holidays. As a Decemeber baby myself, I absolutely love the winter time, the snow, the holiday cheer, and the half coffee half hot chocolates I get from Timmys. As for music, my likes are pretty much across the board! From John Mayer to Sam Smith, Debussy to Duke Ellington, Xtina to today's pop hits, you'll find me somewhere in the middle.On a regular day, you'll probably find me at home with my dog Kacy on a Mad Men binge, or catching up with Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, How To Get Away With Murder and Suits- ps. I love netflix!
Jina Aryaan is one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief of Her Campus UToronto. She is a fourth year student pursuing a major in Sociology, and a double minor in French and Latin American Studies at the University of Toronto. She has been working with Her Campus since her first year of University, and she is also highly involved on campus through various other leadership positions. When she's not busy studying, you can catch her running around campus to get to her next class or meeting. When she has some spare time, she's likely busy writing, discussing politics, or spending quality time with friends and family.