Aesthetically Pleasing Places to Study on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited By: Joy Jiang

Midterms are right around the corner and that means it’s time to hit the books. Cramming for midterms is never fun, so why not do it in a place that doesn’t make you feel like you got swallowed by the concrete monster that is Robarts? I’ve summed up a short,12-spot list of aesthetically pleasing places to study on campus. So before you go running off to Robarts, I highly recommend you give at least one of them a try. While these places already look good in the pictures I promise you they look even better in real life.

UC Quad

Do you know how many readings I have done in this quad? Countless. In fact, I can even recall writing an essay or two. The mixing of architecture here hits just the right spot and the sound of the birds chirping makes you feel like you are in a hidden oasis. Because it is outdoors, I would recommend taking advantage of it before winter comes along.

Indoor Bamboo Gardens, Donnelly Center

I just discovered this place a week ago and honestly it changed my entire perception of the Med Sci building. Hidden inside the dull grey exterior of Med Sci is this hidden bamboo garden. If you’re studying the sciences, than you definitely need to hit up this spot before your next midterm.

Victoria College Quad

I admit, I am a proud Vic kid and I will represent my college till I die. But all biases put aside, the Vic Quad is beautiful. It is extremely open and during the spring, summer, and fall months there is never a shortage of students using it. Walking by and watching people have picnics, throw a football or read under a tree makes my heart warm.

Munk School

Classic and elegant, whether you choose to study on its fresh green lawn or inside this beautiful building, you cannot help but feel studious.

EJ Pratt

A go-to for all Vic students. This library is spacious and full of light. Out of all the study spaces on this list, this is the one I’ve spent the most time at and may be my most productive space campus. Bonus: for all my rom-com fans out there, “The Prince and Me” was filmed here — you know which scene I’m talking about.

Emmanuel College Library

A Hogwarts-esque library if ever I saw one.

Bora Laskin Law Library

New and full of large windows that stream in natural light, you are sure to get work done in this new facility.

Philosophers Walk

Whether your looking to take a nice, relaxing walk to de-stress, or need a bench to sit at to get some work done, philosopher’s walk has got you covered.

Hart House

The student centre of student centres. Hart House was built in 1919 and was one of the first student centres in North America. It is full of nooks and corners to study whether you go to the quad, reading room, library, or the beautiful dining hall shown in this picture, you are sure to get some work done at Hart House.

University College Junior Common Room

A cute, hidden gem inside the timeless UC. My University College friends all say it’s a must-have and those couches look extremely comfy.

Knox College

This may be the most beautiful place on this list. If you haven’t already checked out Knox College, then you are missing out.

Gerstein Library

Full of natural light, this massive library is spacious and has all the beauty that Robarts lacks.

Image 1 / Image 2 / Image 3 / Image 4 / Image 5 / Image 6 / Image 7 / Image 8 / Image 9 / Image 10 / Image 11 / Image 12 / Image 13 / Image 14

Marina S

U Toronto '19

Undergraduate student at the University of Toronto.